Guandao (Chinese for big-assed polearm)

Kevin Colwell

Hello All,

The last six months of my bladesmithing life have been taken up with this. It is 77" oal. The blade is 22" and weighs 2.3 lbs. The spike on the butt is about 12-15". Like almost all Chinese blades, the big blade is sanmai. The outer plates are 300-400 layer random 15N20 and 1075. The center core (and therefore the edge) is low layer 15N20 and W2. The core was about 3:2 15N20 to W2. I wanted it to be shock resistant, just in case.  The spike is the same steel as the outer plates.

Guard is mild steel with an upset rim, then polished and blued.

Ferrules are mild steel tubes.

Pins are copper.

I hope y'all enjoy. It was great fun to make, and a beast to polish.

guandao blade etched.jpg

guandao low res coop.jpg

guandao spike etched.jpg

kevin with guandao 2.jpg

kevin with guandao.jpgguandao blade pic low res coop forum.jpg

Edited by Kevin Colwell
  • Like 5

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Thanks Alan. I thought about you while I made this. It is the closest thing to an axe I have made, other than some little hatchet things.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs