I had 2 goals for this design. I wanted to leave the shanks and bows as-forged, and I wanted the scissors to close without having to close my hand. The blades are mild steel with O1 cutting edges and rust blued. I've decided this style - bows created by bending the shanks - makes more sense for my shop than the punched and drifted style I had been making. Scissors have lots of surfaces to finish. This design eliminates the grinding, filing and polishing of the bows. It also lets me easily change the size and shape of the bows.

To avoid sharp corners, I forged the shanks round before flattening them. I left the ends round, pushed them through holes punched in the shanks, then flattened the ends. I adjusted how the ends meet to adjust the closing point of the blades. 

I also tried a new transition between blade and shank. I had been trying to make a 'tight' joint like most factory forged scissors, but I decided it was unnecessary to copy what can be forged in a closed die.

20210629_185832~2.jpg

20210629_105437~2.jpg

20210629_193130~2.jpg

20210629_105344~2.jpg

20210629_105123~2.jpg

• Like 8

Very cool! I love scissors.

These remind me of 18th century tools somehow, the combination of forged and filework maybe..

Posted (edited)

How many skills can you demonstrate in a pair of scissors?

A whole lot apparently.

Impressive bladesmithing and blacksmithing.

Edited by Don Abbott

Love the pass through treatment on the handles.

Thanks for all your kind words. I was a knifemaker before I took up blacksmithing. I enjoyed blacksmithing more. Scissors gives me the best combination of both.