A Bowie of sorts

If you want to call that a bowie, then it's a bowie.  It's not a bad looking knife the only thing I would point out is that large cylindrical pummel detracts from the overall appearance.  If the handle is also cylindrical it may make it difficult to orient in the hand.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I agree.  Like you, I'm not in love with the result.   It does feel surprising good in the hand.  It is more triangular that shows up in this picture (fat and flat on top and thinner on the bottom).  I meant for the middle section to  to be deeper (from top to bottom) in order to get a kind of recurve toward the base, but I fcked that up somehow.  Lots of lessons learned on this one.  It started out life as a farriers rasp.  

I hope that the rasp was of good steel and not case hardened mild steel.  Use it some and see how the edge holds up.  Files and rasps aren't the safe source steel that they used to be.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

It was a pretty old piece of steel.   After I hardened/tempered it, I beat it up pretty good on a hard piece of oak.  It chopped pretty well.  The edge held up really well.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.