GoPros not suitable for blacksmiths?

Yo, so I've been looking into getting a camera, for recording forging and stuff.

and there are a few points about the GoPro 9 that I like 

but I read that GoPros arnt really meant for sitting, indoors, stationary and have overheating issues, which trigger automatic shut downs.

apparently they are self cooling via, people using them in outdoor sporty type situations?

does anyone have a GoPro and could clear some of this up for me?

alternatively, I could dunk it in the quench bucket now and then, right? they are waterproof after all.

I have an older GoPro Hero 4 and I have used it for all the videos on my YT channel. I will admit only a some of them were forging vids, but I had no problem with it.

I don't know where the idea about "sitting, indoors, and stationary" came from. Mine came with a helmet mount and a chest harness. Folks use these on motor bikes, mountain bikes, and all sorts of action vids. The waterproof bit comes from folks who take them diving. You should be fine with a GoPro.

11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I have an older GoPro Hero 4 and I have used it for all the videos on my YT channel. I will admit only a some of them were forging vids, but I had no problem with it.

I don't know where the idea about "sitting, indoors, and stationary" came from. Mine came with a helmet mount and a chest harness. Folks use these on motor bikes, mountain bikes, and all sorts of action vids. The waterproof bit comes from folks who take them diving. You should be fine with a GoPro.

yeh I think I'll buy it and try it around the forge. (14 days return warranty ^^)

I guess if the battery is overheating, not just dunking in the quench tank but just switching it out could work as well.

might be worrying about some non-issue stuff here.

this is a rant read at own risk.

I bought the GoPro hero 9 and after a full day of playing around with it watching and trying out tons of different tutorials and settings, throwing the videos through editors, I can say one thing: "THIS costs 400$??!"

it sucks! the battery runs hot withing minutes of recording

and as soon as you're not recording under the bright sun on a clear beach, the footage is all black and even if youre shooting with a lot of lighting it somehow washes all the colors out and makes it look faded.

THIS costs 400$?!

"my disappointment is immeasurable and my day has been ruined"

I'd conclude that GoPros are NOT suitable for blacksmiths(like me at least)

bummer, I liked it.
now I have to actually burn my brain to figure out what kinda cam would work.

don't buy it, unless you forge in a lighthouse. 

Black bear forge and Joey Vandersteeg talk about what cameras they use. Joey Vandersteeg uses all kinds of filters on his camera and he has some incredible footage of forge welding wrought iron.

16 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Black bear forge and Joey Vandersteeg talk about what cameras they use. Joey Vandersteeg uses all kinds of filters on his camera and he has some incredible footage of forge welding wrought iron.

That is true but wastly beyond my budget. 400€ are an arm and a leg for me

Posted (edited)

I bought a Cannon SX740HS and am very pleased with it. I had looked at and asked on here about the go pro as well and the Cannon is streets ahead of any go-pro for what we do. It was similar price.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1