Has anyone heard from Aldo?

I don't know if this was the right place to post this but I've tried finding steel at The New Jersey Steel Baron and everything I wanted and some of what I didn't want was listed as out of stock.  Has the business closed down?

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

The pandemic killed a lot of business! However I think Aldo is still there! https://newjerseysteelbaron.com/ Check his site it says they will be closed for the 5th of July. So he is still there. May have had to cut back on some areas that  were not selling well! 

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

The steel market in general is pretty insane right now.  Our buyers at work are having a tough time even getting some mild steels.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if the tool steel market is even worse.

Thanks, I'll drop him a line or give him a call after the weekend.  I did get a stick of 1075/1080 from Admiral.  I looked at their 5160 and the price was insane.  Hopefully, if I can get up with Aldo I can get some 80CrV2.

Doug

Yes, there is also AKS but most of their sizes are cut with the stock removal in mind.  The 8670 that the list comes in thicknesses close 0.250" and I might give it a try.

Doug

I follow NJSB on the book of faces,which I know not everyone is fond of so I hope I'm not repeating something everyone already knows....
 They posted yesterday that they have been busy since BLADE show and should have some steel coming back in stock shortly, specifically AEBL this coming month. They responded to a comment about 80CrV2 saying they're waiting on shipment details.

And when all else fails, call them.  Aldo is old school and prefers to talk rather than type.  He once got me about 30 feet of 1.25 x 0.25 1018, blanchard ground on all four faces, at scrap rate when I asked about 1018 for hawk bodies.  Not that I needed it ground, but hey!  

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Aldo retired, or other wise sold the business. Several weeks ago I sent a email trying to determine the analysis of some steel that I purchased from Aldo when he first started the business. I had found the batch I ordered (100 Ibs.) was not performing as 1084 should, so I quit using it. But now with the prices up I need to see if I can use it. I was told he was no longer there, and they would look and see if there was any information on the very first batch of 1084 he sold. Two weeks later I sent a follow up email and have still not received a response.

If anyone has any info on the first batch of 1084 Aldo sold that had square edges like mild steel has,and not rounded like tool steel is normally manufactured I would appreciate any info!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, paul piccola said:

Aldo retired, or other wise sold the business. Several weeks ago I sent a email trying to determine the analysis of some steel that I purchased from Aldo when he first started the business. I had found the batch I ordered (100 Ibs.) was not performing as 1084 should, so I quit using it. But now with the prices up I need to see if I can use it. I was told he was no longer there, and they would look and see if there was any information on the very first batch of 1084 he sold. Two weeks later I sent a follow up email and have still not received a response.

If anyone has any info on the first batch of 1084 Aldo sold that had square edges like mild steel has,and not rounded like tool steel is normally manufactured I would appreciate any info!

Thanks!

I'm no help there, but there is a lab here in CO I've used to confirm a sh!t batch from Admiral. CO Metal Services at testmetals.com.

• 2 weeks later...

NJSB had been out of 1084 for a while but I checked today and they had it and I ordered some.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, Eric Estlund said:

I'm not 100%, but I think they cut some of it to width from plate. This might explain the square edges.