Working on that new ribbon forge

Some flaking at the mouth, I need to repair that. I am using the blower to dry everything out. Honestly I dont know why is there such a problem to get good refractory in my country. :(

Other than that everything runs fine and looks like a nice machine. I can in future just change the "barrel" part in case I find something better for the forge itself and the rest will stay the same.

6.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2

That looks great!  And how does it sound?  I know those blowers are very quiet, but I imagine there is still a roar. 

36 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

That looks great!  And how does it sound?  I know those blowers are very quiet, but I imagine there is still a roar. 

Its not awfully loud, I might wear earplugs for a day´s work though. Its kind of whinny. :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a take off (and I think I have bad - unsuitable regulator its the type with safety cutoff for cooking appliances). I need to buy one on tommorow. 

Alan Lonmire  would you comment please?

image000000 (4).jpg

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yes, I think a grill/cooker regulator doesn't support the necessary flow for a forge.

Thank you, I thought it was a case after fidling with it for about an hour. I ordered the one from the link, thats the industrial type, with far more flow. Its gonna be here on wendesday. I also need to reorganise my workshop and remove flamables. This thing is far more powerfull than my previous double T-rex forge.

Edited by Jaro Petrina

I honestly- wouldn't put doors on it just yet...

I think I'd just use a couple fire bricks, or pour some refractory slabs to use... that you could just position in front of it for now.

Use it as is for some time. See how it heats, get used to how it runs and burns- and what tuning adjustments you make to get optimal temps from it.

Make little changes as you go- versus bigger changes that are harder to come back from.

I speak from experience building and modifying mine.

The main reason I think you should hold off on doors-

Is it looks like you have a pretty small hole in the back.

If you fully close off, or even a good amount of blocking off the front- you may not have enough of an exhaust for the amount of burner flow you have going in... this can actually detract from efficiency. 

Try it as is for awhile- play with how much you can get away with blocking the front, and still keep a good temperature. This will tell you if you can get away with doors.

You'll get to the point where you can Guage the forge operation/temp by what color the walls of the forge are. You can actually watch them change some just by adjusting your burners tune.

Just my opinion.

Looking awesome though! 

A ribbon burner is my next upgrade.

Well done.

I honestly- wouldn't put doors on it just yet...

I think I'd just use a couple fire bricks, or pour some refractory slabs to use... that you could just position in front of it for now.

Use it as is for some time. See how it heats, get used to how it runs and burns- and what tuning adjustments you make to get optimal temps from it.

Make little changes as you go- versus bigger changes that are harder to come back from.

I speak from experience building and modifying mine.

The main reason I think you should hold off on doors-

Is it looks like you have a pretty small hole in the back.

If you fully close off, or even a good amount of blocking off the front- you may not have enough of an exhaust for the amount of burner flow you have going in... this can actually detract from efficiency. 

Try it as is for awhile- play with how much you can get away with blocking the front, and still keep a good temperature. This will tell you if you can get away with doors.

You'll get to the point where you can Guage the forge operation/temp by what color the walls of the forge are. You can actually watch them change some just by adjusting your burners tune.

Just my opinion.

Looking awesome though! 

A ribbon burner is my next upgrade.

Well done.

When I first built mine, I went with double burners... and a 22-24 inch internal length.

The second picture is as hot as I could get steel, and my burners were popping and howling through each other. Worked with it awhile to figure out what was wrong. Couldn't get hot enough to forge weld, barely to forge.

The third picture i cut it in half to around 10" deep, cut a 3"×4" exhaust hole in the back... dropped to a single burner with a smaller diameter mixture tube, and easily got forge welding temperatures.

20200304_205905.jpg

20200308_140923.jpg

20210404_212411.jpg

Edited by Welsh joel
  • Like 1

What I do for doors are going to be two firebricks on a rail system. That should work. I have meanwhile tried to heat steel and it works like a charm, goes to good temperatures etc.  Its abit gas hungry, I think it has something to do with setting, I havent used this type of forge yet. But its also big burner and big forge. So...... 

• Like 1