I wanted to pick something that was challenging but (hopefully) within my relatively new skills. I settled on this shape:

KITHConcept.jpg

I decided to try a prototype first, so I took 5.3 inches of 1 x 3/16 1080.  (5.33 * .1875 * 1 = .999) 

FirstAttempt.jpg

As I worked on it, I decided I wanted more of a drop point. But it didn't go so well and I pounded scale so far into the blade that it was not going to work, so I started over.

I took some time out to try to make damascus... I'm not very good at that yet, and I don't think I'll get finished if I don't move on... so it's going to stay plain. I don't really feel like posting any more picture of burnt, twisted, failed-welds, so no pics.

I started over again with another piece of the 1080, taking much more care to brush things off every single time (and taking at least a few more pictures)

KITHStart.jpg

KithForge.jpg

KITHShaped.jpg

This is where I'm at now. I am thinking of tracing it and drawing the choil in before cutting that, because I'm not so sure anymore. I couldn't get the plunge to be curved, but this is still soft, so I might try some more.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the decision about a choil was made for me - in getting the plunge curved, I nicked the edge badly enough that I had to put it in.  I sanded it and sanded it some more, and then sanded it... 

I also made my own fabric-resin composite for the handle scales :)

So, the first version is approaching done at last.

2.1.jpg2.0.jpg

I am thinking about doing a second try at it, but I don't know if I can finish so at the very least I'll have this one.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I tried a couple more times to make damascus with 1095 and 15N20... they're not going horribly for a change, but it is taking forever since all I had up until last Saturday was an anvil-shaped object and my hammer.

But I have made a last bit of progress. Having never made a sheath before, I've now made several and I'm really happy with my latest, which I think is the one I'll go with. It's a pocket-style, but I think it goes well with that sort of knife.

sheath.jpg

sheath2.jpg

Edited by Ted Stocksdale
  • Like 2

Good work there. That's a fine KITH contribution.

About that Damascus endeavor, what are your starting pieces, and how many of them are you starting with?

Thank you!

I was trying to use 4 each of 1095 and 15n20 all 1/16 inches thick - I know it's a bit thin, but I don't have any power equipment [yet].  I mangled two of them beyond all recognition, and a third I got welded enough that I "only" had to grind half of it away to get rid of the cracks. But that was the past.

Two weeks ago I got a real anvil (Atlas Knife "Grahm"). Between then and last Saturday I've made four more stacks like that (8 layers of 1/16 inch) and they've all welded perfectly as far as I can see. I folded the first one into 16 layers and it's still going well.  I rather think the cast iron ASO distorted too much as I hit on it to allow the welds to set properly.  And on the basis of some recent developments, I've been able to order a Coal Iron 12-ton press so that ought to make things much easier - in about three weeks give or take.

But that was all too late to start over, so I finished up the existing knife. Next year, though...

Edited by Ted Stocksdale
On 9/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, Ted Stocksdale said:

I folded the first one into 16 layers and it's still going well

Why not just stack the 4 stacks and weld them to each other and get 32 layers? Once you have the 8-layer billets welded up, it should behave like a single layer in the welding. So those 4 billets should weld about as easily as 4 layers of steel.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, Ted Stocksdale said:

so that ought to make things much easier

Yes it will, at least once you make the proper dies for it!

I will very likely do that now! There's two reasons I didn't stack them last Saturday.

First and foremost was a lack of confidence: given my track record I wasn't very confident that they'd survive and I thought it would be better to work them one at a time to improve my chances of having at least one useable piece at the end. When you have the first four nice bars you've ever been able to make all stretched out to 1/4 inch thick, it's hard to risk them all at once. Given that the one I selected for doubling went without a hitch, I think my technique is right and this wasn't something I actually needed to worry about, but that's easy to say in hindsight :)

The second is purely from being intimidated by the thickness and trying to pound by hand on a bar an inch thick.  I knew I could handle the half-inch of two pieces since they started out half an inch thick. Still not sure I want to try to pound out an inch-thick bar with my 3 pound hammer, but that one I would take you guy's advice if you say "1 inch really isn't that much worse than 1/2 inch".

I got a set of four dies: flat, fuller, drawing, and squaring (because I want to try to make a canister with some of these scraps I cut off with my bandsaw doing stock-removal).  While I've got your attention, is there any sort of dressing that needs to be done to these like you do with a hammer?

Edited by Ted Stocksdale
On 9/30/2021 at 6:45 AM, Ted Stocksdale said:

While I've got your attention, is there any sort of dressing that needs to be done to these like you do with a hammer?

That depends on what they look like from the get-go. The only dies I did any "dressing" on was my drawing dies. Mind you, I made every set of dies I have, so the dressing was the grinding of the soft curve in a 1.5" square bar.......