So I am absolutely loving this hobby! All I think about at work is making knives!

Think I am going to go with a Ultrex Suretouch G10 handle. Not sure if I want to put a bolster guard on it or not.

Thoughts?

20210706_095121.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent job keeping everything centered.

If it was me, I'd bring the bevels on up the blade, but that's just me.

Good work.

Yep, the tapers and lines look good!  I agree with Don about the bevel height. That's the most common comment you'll see here about new makers' work, in fact.  It looks like you want to use it as a chopper, so I understand the desire to keep as much strength behind the edge as possible, but I think you'll find it will cut much better with a bevel at least twice that high.  I'd go for a 3/4 height or full flat grind, myself. Maybe with a light appleseed grind at the edge for strength if you really want to chop hardwood.  

Your call, of course.  And, in my opinion, you won't need a bolster or a guard.  The way you have the tang shaped to create a finger groove behind the ricasso does the job just fine.  That way you can get creative with sculpting the front of the scales, too.  If you want.  It's your knife!  

So I think I will put a deeper edge on it still. What is the final grit for G10? I have a few little lines on it from sanding but pretty happy over all with the handle shape and feel. Its a little on the thin side because it was all the thickness they had to sell.

20210706_161521.jpg