Dark circle under burner flame

Right where the burner flame hits the refractory/forge liner, there’s a dark circle about an inch or two in diameter. Outside of that circle, everything is red/orange but within that circle it is a noticeably darker grayish blacker color. When i fiddle with the air or gas the circle either shrinks or expands and may get darker or disappear as it becomes the same color as the surrounding material. 

should i be trying to get that dark spot? Or should i try to get it red, like the rest of the forge? What is causing this?

That sounds like uncombusted fuel or oxygen is cooling the wall of the forge slightly.  Does the dark spot go away when you have your flame adjusted to a neutral setting?

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That sounds like uncombusted fuel or oxygen is cooling the wall of the forge slightly.  Does the dark spot go away when you have your flame adjusted to a neutral setting?

I’m still figuring out the neutral settings but yes.. as i close off the air, the dark spot gets smaller and smaller and then goes away until the forge is one uniform color. I just wasn’t sure if this is what i should have been shooting for , or if that dark circle was normal. As the air gets chocked off and the dark circle goes away the sound of the forge goes from a roaring sound to a more mellow sound.. and I’d thought this meant that it was getting less hot .. i have no real reason for thinking that other than the loud roar must be better right ..lol. I know better now.  When i fire it up again I’ll adjust it accordingly. I’ve got a k type thermocouple arriving in a couple weeks so that should also help in matching the color sound and heat temps. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Too strong a blast.  Turn down the air and gas accordingly.

Yes.. i remember that as fiddles with it and the blast got softer, the spot blended into a red/orange.. just wasn’t sure if this is what i wanted. The flames out the front should be licking up, correct?.. rather than blasting out like the backside of a jet engine?