Remember Bowie's hammer-in? We may resurrect it...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I prefer a day that is 60 to 75°F, partly cloudy to mostly sunny, with a light breeze and 0% rain chance. Other than that I'm not picky.

Not in its original location, though.  My local guild meeting was today, and as it was too hot to do any forging we were just talking.  Someone started lamenting that Ron Claiborne's annual knifemakin

Still waiting to see if we can use the facility, but we are optimistic!  Camping is not required at all, there are hotels ranging from iffy to incredible much closer than the decent ones were fro

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark Zalesky said:

Was just tipped off about this thread. If such an event were to happen I would be happy to support it in any way possible. Will attend if it's on a free weekend. Lots of great memories from the events at Ron's.

I was going to holler once we have a venue and date nailed down.  You're one of the prize guests and vendors, after all!  B)

• Like 1

I'm in, I've dearly missed Ron and would love to see all my other friends

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

• 3 months later...

We haven't had a response from the board about dates, so we are going to present them with a list of dates to choose from. If no word then, we have an alternate venue that's just as good.

I'm thinking early fall, like late September or early October. Anyone have a preference? Late April or early May could work as well.

As I am looking forward a lot to attend, I can’t be picky so either date range would have to work for me.
However April/May less waiting……weather should be good, etc.

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

I prefer a day that is 60 to 75°F, partly cloudy to mostly sunny, with a light breeze and 0% rain chance.

Other than that I'm not picky.

B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We're currently aiming at either the second or third weekend in September, or the middle three weekends of October.  Trying to get confirmation from the board at Rocky Mount State Historic Site.  If they don't respond, we have a great (possibly better!) alternate venue lined up in Unicoi, TN.  This is going to happen!  We know y'all need dates ASAP so you can line up leave from work, etc, so we're trying to get a date before January 1.  Plus we need to be able to tell potential demonstrators far enough in advance for them to get it on the schedule.  

Like Bowie's, it will be a Friday-Saturday-Sunday event.  Probably half-days Friday and Sunday, depends on the demonstrators.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The date is set!

October 7, 8, and 9.

Location is still TBD, but it will be within close proximity to Johnson City, TN.  I'll post more as it comes in.

• Like 1

I'm definitely interested!  Let me know if you need any help.  I live in Johnson City.

Edited by Warren Thacker

In that case, we'll be in touch. B)

You need to join the State of Franklin Blacksmith's Guild!  We meet the second Sunday of every month in the barn at Rocky Mount State Historic Site.  Official start time is 1:30 pm, but we're usually there by 12:30 to talk prior to demos.  

Sweet!  Going to book flights and hotel this week.

Thanks Alan.

Dan & Vicky Kaschner

11 minutes ago, Dan Kaschner said:

Going to book flights and hotel this week.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again!

Tri-Cities Regional Airport, https://triflight.com/ for all your flying needs.  Rental cars on-site.  

Cool. Vicky and I are fired up. Looking forward to seeing everyone!  It been a while.