Remember Bowie's hammer-in? We may resurrect it...

Alan Longmire

A question: What do you want to see at this thing?  It will be a relatively primitive setup. For many reasons, we've decided not to run a smelt this time around.  I have several demos I can do, and we haven't lined up the other demonstrators.  The format is a series of demonstrations of any and all aspects of bladesmithing, from history to technique to whatever.  One demo at a time, with the possibility of continuing off to the side if it's something tedious like engraving or drawfiling that not everyone will be interested in.

We don't have a press, so probably no mosaic or powder damascus.  Unless we get a press, of course.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, stephanfowler said:

I'm in, I've dearly missed Ron and would love to see all my other friends

Stephan: Would you be open to doing a demo?  Whatever you want to do.  We're asking Wiggins too, and all the old crowd we can get hold of.

Lol.  Is it at least a little bit about drinking beer an whiskey? :D

Seriously though, thinking of things that are on my "haven't done but will someday" list, I would love to see a demo of forging a wrapped axe/tomahawk.  Maybe even a how-to on putting twisted flutes on a dagger handle.

I'm not saying there won't be alcohol involved. ;)

If we get the coal forges going I will do a simple hawk.  

We have a venue!  See the other thread under Events of Interest.  

Gents wrapped axe/hawk, flute work both sound great to me as well.

By the time the year gets closer to October, I bet we’ll have something you don’t want to miss!

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 12:13 PM, Alex Middleton said:

I would love to see a demo of forging a wrapped axe/tomahawk.

If Alan does not agree to do one of his famed tomahawk demos I will attempt to organize a formal protest. It's practically a Bowie's Hammer In requirement, and a must-see if you've never had the opportunity.

You only say that because I often screw up in a spectacular fashion! :lol:

But then I usually fix it. ;)

If you like antique Bowie knives, Mark literally wrote the latest book on them.  I'd show up just to see him!

Yes!  This event is completely supported by Iron in the Hat.  And, we (State of Franklin Blacksmiths Guild) are a 501(c)3 registered nonprofit, so all donations are tax deductible.

The original Bowie's was supported this way as well. All the makers would donate one of their best pieces, the vendors would donate things like complete forges, exhibition-grade handle woods, salt pots, and so on.  It was not uncommon to see a bunch of thousand-dollar blades on the table.  

We want to continue that tradition.  Bring your best work, a nice tool, good wood, books, or whatever you think it's worth to you (as long as it's legal, of course!) to get access to the collective knowledge of the event.  I haven't made the hawk yet, but it will be a fancy pipe hawk in the $1000 (msrp) range.  You could win it for a $1 ticket.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being its goimg primitive would you still be Interested in me bringing the power hammer down?

12 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Being its goimg primitive would you still be Interested in me bringing the power hammer down?

Possibly. We're looking at a few options. I'll let you know well ahead of time.