Im a beginner in all this and my first post.  This is my 4 knife and Ill post a couple of other that are finished for some critique. 

I may have bitten off a bit much but inspired by my celtic heritage and Jake Clelands work on this forum I forged a sgain dubh. Then filed in a flat bevel and chose to do no riccaso.  The blade is 1075 and 87mm long. The bolster is solid copper from my great grandfathers soldering iron. The handle is Australian blackwood- 95mm long not including the stone .  I ground the stone i found  on my local river and used angle grinder and hand sanded to cut and polish.  The handle channel was a bit wide and I was having trouble keeping it all lined up so I filled it to keep the blade in line while I contoured the handle. 

I need advice on what would be best to secure the tang to the handle.   Given the thickness (1.4mm x 5mm) i might not be able to thread the tang.  Could I put in a hidden steel spacer blind pined to the handle under the stone and peen the tang over it?  Final sanding on the handle and fit up of the pommel ring is yet to be done and i have some bits to fix on the bolster too. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

sgian fit up.jpg

sgian pommel.jpg

Edited by Matt Beitzel

I find peening to be more trouble than it's worth.  It's hard to get a really tight fit, and there is always the danger of splitting the handle.  On a lot of my work, small pieces like this one especially, I rely on the epoxy to hold everything.  Modern epoxies, particularly the 24 hour stuff is stronger than the handle material in nearly every case.

This may sound stupid, but you don't need to thread all of the tang.  If you worked carefully you could probably cut threads on what you have exposed.  The only part that would have threads would be the 2 narrow edges, but considering how little torque this is going to get, that and epoxy will hold it fine.

If you've filled the handle so the tang is a decent indexable fit, just epoxy is fine. Traditionally they often just had whittle tangs 1.5" long, secured with cutlers resin. The other traditional solution is to pin through the handle front to back, either through the top mount, or just below it. Personally I often use a pin through the centre of the handle, or somewhere it will fit into the carving.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jake and Geoff.  Ive got a couple of holes in the tang for epoxy to key into. 

I think ill leave carving the handle to the next one though :)

Edited by Matt Beitzel
11 hours ago, Matt Beitzel said:

...but inspired by my celtic heritage and Jake Clelands work on this forum .

Yeah, he does that to people :)  

Looks like good work so far.  I think if I were finishing it, I would use epoxy to hold the handle bits together, and put a contrasting (brass?) pin through the tang and the center of the copper ring at the pommel end.