Clark CPT portable hardness testers?

Does anyone by chance have experience or an opinion on the Clark portable hardness testers, CPT model specifically?

These and other brands of that design seem to go for less than the Ames hardness testers and are certainly cheaper to ship than bench top testers.

You didn't mention what you intend to use this for so feel free to ignore me here: if this is to test blades, then be aware that it's very challenging (ie, nearly impossible) to get an accurate reading from a piece of steel the thickness of a blade. Trying to lay the blade flat on a reference block while taking a reading is difficult at best. Also, if you do manage it, you'll have a very visible mark where the probe hit, which you'll need to grind off.

I realize that wasn't your question :ph34r: I don't know about this model unfortunately. I have a Hartip, which works ok, but I no longer try to use it on blades for the reasons above.

Thank you for the feedback.  I figured information about this specific model was going to be a long shot.  I also know I don't need a tester, but I do want one lol.

I've been using our Wilson 4TT at work to develop my heat treating procedure for 80CRV2.  Your experience with the Leeb hardness test enforces why I think rockwell is the way to go, even with needing a flat surface and leaving the small dimple.  I looked at similar to what you have as well, due to the lower investment.

19 hours ago, Adam Reggie said:

I've been using our Wilson 4TT at work to develop my heat treating procedure for 80CRV2.  Your experience with the Leeb hardness test enforces why I think rockwell is the way to go, even with needing a flat surface and leaving the small dimple.  I looked at similar to what you have as well, due to the lower investment.

Gotcha, I naively assumed you were looking at the same type of device I mentioned. I'm interested to hear your experience should you decide to acquire this.

No worries Francis.  My biggest hesitation on the portable rockwell testers (Ames, CPT etc) is the portable diamond penetrators seem to be double the price of the larger bench top tester diamonds, so if i get one and the diamond is damaged I'm out another 400 bucks.

But if i get it I will let you know how they work out.

Unlike the Leeb tests, the CPT and Ames will both give a true hardness reading.  I would question the accuracy a little bit due to the potential influence of the operator.  With a bit of practice on a sample of known hardness to get repeatable (accurate) numbers, then I think you should be good to go.  In principle at least.  I have no experience with these units so cannot speak to their quality of build or anything.  I see that Sun-Tec, the company I use at work for re-building and calibrating our portable Brinell testers, offers the CPT for sale, as well as sells refurbished equipment.  They may be a good resource for saving money buying a used unit (or not, who knows!).  

Thank you Jerrod, however as it turns out I was about to get a decent deal off ebay for Wilson 4JR on a local pickup.  Even came with a stand.  I look forward to getting that set up and pressed into service.

I, and a number of other makers, have been pretty happy with using Matt Parkinson's hardness testing chisel sets.  I'm sure they don't give the level of accuracy of a professional machine, but on a budget they are good enough for my purposes and can be used directly on a blade edge (and certainly out perform the off brand hardness files).

i have a ames type been pretty happy with it but yes if the penitrator brakes ill toss it and buy a wilson bench top cheeper in the long run