Well last weekend I picked up a 5 inch "Iron city" post vise I'm happy with the condition other than the screw and screw box. I have a 1 1/4 inch 4 tpi rod and nut on the way I couldn't find 3 tpi, but I think it will be fine. My plan is to cut 1 1/4 inch off the screw box with a bevel for surface area and weld the 1 1/4 nut on as well as replacing the  screw thread shaft. First I'll practice on some wagon wheel wrought with 7018 rod (my favorite) if that doesn't work I'll try some 309l. Still trying to figure out a stand it,  needs to be movable. Here it is. This will be slow. Edit I just found something cool it was marked with a No. 70 and I found a 1891 catalogue the vise sold for $15 not sure how long it continued but cool. 

20210720_070200.jpg

20210720_070739.jpg

20210720_070721.jpg

Edited by Gilbert McCann
Words

Hi Gilbert. Nice find. I’m going to make a new stand for my post vice and am keeping an eye out for the parts. Basically I’m planning on fixing a post onto a cultivator disk (when I find one) and then mount the vice to that. That should allow me to tilt and roll it if I need to move it. Someone suggested I use a tire rim instead but I prefer the domed disk idea as I should be able to easily put a foot on it to help hold it steady if I need to.

@Charles dPI like the foot idea. A thought was a 35 or 45 pound plate for weight lifting or some other shape and wheels and a table big enough to hold a hammer. Where I forge it needs to be portable. 

The best portable (for a blacksmith portable, heavy as heck for anyone else) vise stand I've used was a 30-inch circle cut from heavy plate with the vise mounted on a four-inch square tube upright welded to the circle on on edge.  That way you stand on the plate when using the vise, and tip it up and roll it to move.  I wasn't that smart when I made mine.  You do stand on the baseplate when using it, so it can't move, but I left the plate square so it doesn't roll.  And it's too small to cut it into a circle.

We have one at my guild shop that was made by Doug Merkel that's also nice.  It's made from heavy angle iron.  I'll try to remember to get pics next time I'm there, but that may be a while.

The weight plate is a good idea. I plan to roll the vice around on the edge of the disk to move it. My ‘table’ is about 6x6” but I’ll be making a bigger one on the new stand! Might even add a rod around the edge to hang tongs, etc. on come to think of it.

Add: thanks Alan, that’s good info and photos will be great.

Edited by Charles dP
That’s what I get for half finishing a response then coming back to it

Thank you @Alan Longmireand @Charles dP Alan I really like the idea of standing on the base plate though 30 inches may be big in my area. Charles I think I'll use some rod with sections on at least part of the table similar to what I have on my anvil good idea.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Update I got the acme screw and nut there're action is really smooth. I cut the screw shaft off and drilled a 3/8 inch hole in it and cut about a 3/4 inch slot then ground the acme screw to fit. I also made a thrust washer (1 1/4 inch hole through 1/2 inch plate with 1/3 hp drill press no fun). Next is attaching the nut to the screw box. 

20210728_182008.jpg

20210729_162111.jpg

Edited by Gilbert McCann
Posted (edited)

A little more progress. I welded the nut on to the screw box. I really need to work on my Argentine grill. 

20210730_172726.jpg

20210730_162339.jpg

20210730_170934.jpg

Edited by Gilbert McCann
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just about done one issue and I need to add a couple tool holders. The issue is the movable jaw only opens to 1 1/4 inch until it needs help, mostly the issue I believe is rust in the pivot area. I do think 1 1/4 inch will be fine it wasn't moving at all to start with. I may try some evaporust I've never used it then possibly re bending the spring. It rolls around nicely. Oh also some sort of protection maybe a clear oil based paint. 

20210821_160411.jpg

20210820_201320.jpg

Edited by Gilbert McCann
Forgot
  • Like 2

Congratulations on that Iron city!  Looks pretty familiar, this is an ancient post I made up long long ago on the iron city vice I've worked with for . . . . almost 10 years now.   You're already a lot more advanced than I was at the time when I tried repairing mine.  You will enjoy having a free standing vice, you can wheel it where you want then work all the way around it if needed.  Mine is just same size as yours there by the look of it, and I've only had trouble of it walking on its own if I try to bend something stupid big.