A little preview - "Fornkili" the Old Wedge...

Hi guys,

I recently posted a preview of a blade I have been working on, and I have now finally been able to finish the complete knife - sheath not included...

thought I'd give a bit of a new preview of the whole thing. :)

Fornkili Preview-1.jpg

Fornkili Preview-2.jpg

Fornkili Preview-3.jpg

Fornkili Preview-4.jpg

All inlay in both handle, bolster and blade are 24 karat gold wire, 0,7mm in thickness.

Bolster is in meteorite iron - which is nerve wrecking to work with when doing inlay. Some areas are more fragile than others, and if you look closely at the "R" - you'll see the outline of a chip. A small piece came off - but I was able to glue it back on, and also lock it in place by having the "R" rune loop through it. It sits solid now. :) But my heart really dropped when it came loose... :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

Have a nice week guys! :)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

• Like 11

excuse me for a moment while I pick up my shattered jaw and any semblance of pride I had off the floor....:blink:

Wow...just WOW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're having entirely too much fun with that airgraver and gold inlay! :P  That was very brave of you to use meteoric iron like that, for the very reason you discovered.  Congrats on making it work!

And yes, if I had any pride left you'd have humbled me, but you did that a long time ago. :lol: You just keep improving exponentially!

• Like 1

Really impressive work! Every time I look at it I see something else I missed! Talk about all the gingerbread, that one has it!! Very good grasshopper.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty much nothing to add that already hasn't been said.  Quick question, what is the handle material?

Doug

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone for your kind words! Although - I ensure you though - the knife is full of irritating little flaws... Seems every time there is "something" not quite right. :rolleyes: But I hope to continually decrease the amount of such things as I proceed from knife to knife. :lol:

14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

You're having entirely too much fun with that airgraver and gold inlay! :P  That was very brave of you to use meteoric iron like that, for the very reason you discovered.  Congrats on making it work!

And yes, if I had any pride left you'd have humbled me, but you did that a long time ago. :lol: You just keep improving exponentially!

Yes, the airgraver has really played a pivotal role in my development so far, and there is no doubt now that engraving and inlay is most definitively the future of my knifemaking. I am currently in the process of ordering a batch of natural diamonds, rubies and sapphires as well - for future projects. :D

The meteoric iron is a strange material to be sure - some parts brittle, others incredibly soft and pliable. Need to be careful when using the rotary tool, lest it "follows" the soft spots and leads one off track! :lol:

7 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Pretty much nothing to add that already hasn't been said.  Quick question, what is the handle material?

Doug

Thank you Doug! The wood is stabilized Poplar. :)

Simply outstanding. A myriad of supleratives discuised as a knife.

• Like 1

Yet another knife from my absolute favorite knifemaker.  If only I could complete creations such as yours, Alveprins.  I think my "Alveprin Album" has the majority, if not all of the knives you've shown here on the forum within it's files.  Every single one is absolutely breathtaking.  I keep thinking if I look at the pictures long and often enough, maybe someday I might subconsciously sneak in an Alveprins "touch" somewhere on one of my knives.  I can only hope.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Yet another knife from my absolute favorite knifemaker.  If only I could complete creations such as yours, Alveprins.  I think my "Alveprin Album" has the majority, if not all of the knives you've shown here on the forum within it's files.  Every single one is absolutely breathtaking.  I keep thinking if I look at the pictures long and often enough, maybe someday I might subconsciously sneak in an Alveprins "touch" somewhere on one of my knives.  I can only hope.

Thank you very much for those kind words Mr. Christenberry! :)

We all draw inspiration from others, which is the great thing about the previously unimaginable access we now have to the world through the web. I think that for those of us who work in the creative genre - it has, and will continue to exponentially accelerate the development of new and unique styles. :)

An example of this is my engraved handle frames. They are inspired by similarly framed Bowie knives that I've seen here on this forum and elsewhere, same goes for my sheaths - with a twist of my own of course. ;)

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 1

Excellent. Simply elegant in every way possible.

Someone really needs to put a post in this thread, if you haven't already

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Excellent. Simply elegant in every way possible.

Someone really needs to put a post in this thread, if you haven't already

Thank you Josh! :)

Actually, I did put a post in that thread - but it is a few months ago. 

• Like 1

HOLY $#!T!!! That is beyond impressive! I dont even know where to begin to start asking how you did all of that! I am just trying to keep my grinds even!

Edited by JASON HUBER
  • Like 1