A little preview - "Fornkili" the Old Wedge...

Hi guys,

I recently posted a preview of a blade I have been working on, and I have now finally been able to finish the complete knife - sheath not included...

thought I'd give a bit of a new preview of the whole thing. :)

Fornkili Preview-1.jpg

Fornkili Preview-2.jpg

Fornkili Preview-3.jpg

Fornkili Preview-4.jpg

All inlay in both handle, bolster and blade are 24 karat gold wire, 0,7mm in thickness.

Bolster is in meteorite iron - which is nerve wrecking to work with when doing inlay. Some areas are more fragile than others, and if you look closely at the "R" - you'll see the outline of a chip. A small piece came off - but I was able to glue it back on, and also lock it in place by having the "R" rune loop through it. It sits solid now. :) But my heart really dropped when it came loose... :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

Have a nice week guys! :)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

• Like 12

You're having entirely too much fun with that airgraver and gold inlay! :P  That was very brave of you to use meteoric iron like that, for the very reason you discovered.  Congrats on making it work!

And yes, if I had any pride left you'd have humbled me, but you did that a long time ago. :lol: You just keep improving exponentially!

• Like 1

Really impressive work! Every time I look at it I see something else I missed! Talk about all the gingerbread, that one has it!! Very good grasshopper.jpg

• Like 1

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Pretty much nothing to add that already hasn't been said.  Quick question, what is the handle material?

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Thank you very much everyone for your kind words! Although - I ensure you though - the knife is full of irritating little flaws... Seems every time there is "something" not quite right. :rolleyes: But I hope to continually decrease the amount of such things as I proceed from knife to knife. :lol:

14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

You're having entirely too much fun with that airgraver and gold inlay! :P  That was very brave of you to use meteoric iron like that, for the very reason you discovered.  Congrats on making it work!

And yes, if I had any pride left you'd have humbled me, but you did that a long time ago. :lol: You just keep improving exponentially!

Yes, the airgraver has really played a pivotal role in my development so far, and there is no doubt now that engraving and inlay is most definitively the future of my knifemaking. I am currently in the process of ordering a batch of natural diamonds, rubies and sapphires as well - for future projects. :D

The meteoric iron is a strange material to be sure - some parts brittle, others incredibly soft and pliable. Need to be careful when using the rotary tool, lest it "follows" the soft spots and leads one off track! :lol:

7 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Pretty much nothing to add that already hasn't been said.  Quick question, what is the handle material?

Doug

Thank you Doug! The wood is stabilized Poplar. :)

Yet another knife from my absolute favorite knifemaker.  If only I could complete creations such as yours, Alveprins.  I think my "Alveprin Album" has the majority, if not all of the knives you've shown here on the forum within it's files.  Every single one is absolutely breathtaking.  I keep thinking if I look at the pictures long and often enough, maybe someday I might subconsciously sneak in an Alveprins "touch" somewhere on one of my knives.  I can only hope.

• Like 1

Chris

www.chrischristenberry.com

WHEW!!!  If I could only know now what I "thought" I knew back then....................

30 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Yet another knife from my absolute favorite knifemaker.  If only I could complete creations such as yours, Alveprins.  I think my "Alveprin Album" has the majority, if not all of the knives you've shown here on the forum within it's files.  Every single one is absolutely breathtaking.  I keep thinking if I look at the pictures long and often enough, maybe someday I might subconsciously sneak in an Alveprins "touch" somewhere on one of my knives.  I can only hope.

Thank you very much for those kind words Mr. Christenberry! :)

We all draw inspiration from others, which is the great thing about the previously unimaginable access we now have to the world through the web. I think that for those of us who work in the creative genre - it has, and will continue to exponentially accelerate the development of new and unique styles. :)

An example of this is my engraved handle frames. They are inspired by similarly framed Bowie knives that I've seen here on this forum and elsewhere, same goes for my sheaths - with a twist of my own of course. ;)

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 1

Excellent. Simply elegant in every way possible.

Someone really needs to put a post in this thread, if you haven't already

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

5 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Excellent. Simply elegant in every way possible.

Someone really needs to put a post in this thread, if you haven't already

Thank you Josh! :)

Actually, I did put a post in that thread - but it is a few months ago. 

• Like 1