Fleshing knife

Chad J.

I am not at all familiar with a fleshing knife other than what I just saw on Google.  Has anyone made one that can help me out with design factors such as bevel angles and general sizes?  My boss at the day job was asking about one and I'm game for trying to make it. 

I made one for my son several years ago.  In the little bit of use that it has seen it performed pretty well.  I basically made a copy of a Necker 600 curved knife.  The blade portion was a touch over 12" long and 1/4" thick.  The outside of the curve is sharpened to a razor for shaving the hair off from a hide, while the inside of the curve is kept slightly duller to remove flesh without damaging the skin.  I did a single 45 degree bevel on both the inside and the outside.  If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll try to hunt it up and get some pictures.

Basically, yes.  Just a single 45 degree bevel on both edges of the blade.  I believe that we have one of the single handed tools around too. If I can find it I'll snap a pic.

This time I remembered. :D

20210727_190752.jpg20210727_190835.jpg20210727_190841.jpg

The overall picture isn't the best, but you can get the idea.  Its actually 3/16" thick instead of the 1/4" I thought it was.  I couldn't find the little one-handed one, but if you google fleshing knife you'll see some images pop up.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I came up with a design for it finished enough to test and this is what I've got.   Simple lawn mower blade, not quenched,  the bevel goes all the way around the blade at about 45° and rounded to avoid a sharp edge on it.   It's handle is comfortable and designed to be able to reverse the knife to use the different curves and straight edges.   I went with a simple make handle brass pin and lanyard hole.   I am expecting to make another with design changes after I get feedback on this one from my boss.

Resized_20220118_154712.jpeg

I looked up "antique fleshing knife" and found several interesting variations

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

The first two are also called "beam knives," since they are used to deflesh hides hanging over a wooden beam, thus the curved edge on the first one.  Those others are pretty cool! One I'd call more of a hide scraper, but that last one is cute.