I am not at all familiar with a fleshing knife other than what I just saw on Google.  Has anyone made one that can help me out with design factors such as bevel angles and general sizes?  My boss at the day job was asking about one and I'm game for trying to make it. 

I made one for my son several years ago.  In the little bit of use that it has seen it performed pretty well.  I basically made a copy of a Necker 600 curved knife.  The blade portion was a touch over 12" long and 1/4" thick.  The outside of the curve is sharpened to a razor for shaving the hair off from a hide, while the inside of the curve is kept slightly duller to remove flesh without damaging the skin.  I did a single 45 degree bevel on both the inside and the outside.  If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll try to hunt it up and get some pictures.

Basically, yes.  Just a single 45 degree bevel on both edges of the blade.  I believe that we have one of the single handed tools around too. If I can find it I'll snap a pic.

Just realized that I completely forgot to snap pics last night.  I just set a reminder for myself to make sure I do it tonight.

This time I remembered. :D

20210727_190752.jpg20210727_190835.jpg20210727_190841.jpg

The overall picture isn't the best, but you can get the idea.  Its actually 3/16" thick instead of the 1/4" I thought it was.  I couldn't find the little one-handed one, but if you google fleshing knife you'll see some images pop up.

• Like 1