Brazing Quarters for Mokume Game?

I'm looking at doing a Mokume Gane guard for a clip point Bowie I'm working on. Has anybody tried brazing a quarter stack to put it in the forge?

Usually you just clamp the (clean) stack and watch it closely. When it looks sweaty, pull it and squeeze.

Brazing first would add another color to the mix, though. Might be an idea. Try it and see!

I'll give it a shot and if it works, I'll submit pics. I just thought it would be easier/quicker than building a wire cage.

I alternate quarters and nickels for more contrast.  I press the nickels, cold, to the diameter of the quarters, then clean and alternate the quarters and nickels.  I make a tool of 2 pieces of 1/2" thick 4" X 4" bar stock and drill holes in each corner for bolts.  Stack the coins and tighten the bolts.  Heat in the forge, watching for the stack of coins to begin looking "wet".  Press to weld.  Grind the edges to check the welds and clean the faces with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder.

• Like 1

i silver braized a bunch of quarters once and made a bracelet out of it, it worked well enough, it was probably just as tricky as doing regular mokume.

somebody stole that bracelet from my room, it was a beautiful ladder pattern... 

if you can make mokume its worth all the effort. 

you can braize wires together to make wire mokume, and ive used thin strips of copper that i twisted a bunch and then braized together for a twist sort of effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne and Steve, great comments! I did a small practice piece with a stack of 4 quarters in a vise with a propane torch. It welded pretty well, but I got a separation when I started working the edges. Lots to learn, and nothing takes the place of practice! I'm doing a stack of 8 in the forge using a wire cage today. Again, thanks for the tips!

The wire didn't work well for me, but I think I let it get too hot. Then I saw a video where a guy used a tig welder. So I gave it a try with a stack of 16. It took some experimenting to get the settings right, but I got a nice weld down three sides the length of the stack. I didn't have time to complete it tonight, but I did get a few heats and squishes in the press. So far so good! The stack pressed down about 50%, with no hint of sliding or delams. I'm really looking forward to working it out and getting a pattern in it.

• Like 1

One of the troublesome issues with using coins for Mokume is that they have faces with texture. This leaves gaps in the mating surfaces for oxidation to occur. This can bugger the wleds and leave flaws. So you should hammer them flat and sand the faces clean for a good weld. I did the quarters thing a few times when I started making Mokume. My best results came when I stacked them up in a short piece of 1 inch copper tubing. There is a quick tutorial on how I make Mokume in the Hot Work section should you be inclined to pursue this endeavor.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jess Harris said:

Thanks Joshua, that was an excellent tutorial!

Did you look at the link I posted in Joshua's tutorial? The book will tell you nearly everything about mokume.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DanM said:

Did you look at the link I posted in Joshua's tutorial? The book will tell you nearly everything about mokume.

@Jess Harris this link is priceless information.

• 2 weeks later...

So, adventures in Mokume are going nicely. I'm trying some different things for different patterns. The smooth one is going to be used to make the guard for the drop point I'm making.

IMG_20210902_183917_01.jpg

PXL_20210903_013231044.jpg

PXL_20210903_011656253.jpg

• Like 3