Some time ago when I got my kmg I was originally planning on getting a 10” contact wheel in addition to the platen. Turned out when he quoted me on a price it was quite a bit more than I could justify, so I just got the flat platen. Several years later I saw usaknifemaker selling poly wheels for quite a bit less, though I never got one I have thought about it from time to time. Yesterday I was on eBay and saw a rubber wheel for like 100$, and suddenly I’m wondering if it’s finally time to splurge..

yes, I know I’m cheap…

any one have any experience with the usaknifemaker poly wheels or the cheap rubber ones I’m now seeing?

Thanks for any advice, Justin

i would stay away from cheep rubber wheels last thing you need is the formula being off and it separating at speed

also i had my last belt grinder for 12 years its still a fine grinder but my style of grinding has changed and i wanted to go to a 72 belt so really whats the cost of a good wheel over that kind of time frame and whats the resale on it if you get out of it later?

I would be interested as well.

Right now I am only using a home made wheel however I don’t use a wheel that much.

I thought when the time came, I would go to Sun-Ray, Inc. They specialize in all types of wheels. As an example, and 8x2” wheel would be approximately $105 to $142 depending on what additions are ordered with it. Smaller diameters are less of course.

Sun-Ray has been recommended before on here.

Gary LT

I've always been happy with Sunray, and now there's these guys: https://amktactical.com/epages/3c926a50-9aba-43a5-9571-098ee03f1288.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/3c926a50-9aba-43a5-9571-098ee03f1288/Products/41 I haven't used their wheels, but the price is right and they have some good testimonials.  I do have their disc grinder and it's a nice bit of tool.  I will probably order from them when I decide I need a 12" wheel.

Thanks for the replies guys! At the 100$ range I’ll probably end up giving them a try.