Ok, before we all pile on. I know my setup is pretty sketchy, that's why I'm here. Temp seems to be high enough but the flame is coming out where the burner goes in. I was thinking about drilling a hole in a new brick to fit it in which might stop the fire coming back out. I will be beefing up the walls but for now I think they'll do.

20210810_111152.jpg

20210810_112703.jpg

20210810_113553.jpg

Sketchy setup indeed! :lol:. You might want to move the burner to a side-entry position. That will solve one problem, anyway.  You can and should also take the bell reducer off the exit end. It is not a flare and serves no purpose.

• Like 1

I'll be be brutally honest, I wouldn't worry too much about the flame coming out the hole until you get your forge a bit more solid.  One wrong move could collapse those bricks, and then you potentially have a flame thrower pointed either right at your face, or the wall of your shop.  Somewhere around here theres a pinned thread (maybe in Tools and Tool making?) about putting together a super simple forge from fire bricks like that.  A few pieces of angle iron and a couple of bolts and then you can worry about tuning it in.

Wicked! Thanks for the help gents!! More photos to follow of my next less sketchy (yet still pretty dicey) setup. Next steps will be side entry, removing the bell reducer and completing the angle iron around the sides and top. I did do around the base however I was pressed for time today and didn't finish it. I was all to eager to test out my new burner. Also I promise I wont burn down any buildings in the meantime hahaha

9 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

Wicked! Thanks for the help gents!! More photos to follow of my next less sketchy (yet still pretty dicey) setup. Next steps will be side entry, removing the bell reducer and completing the angle iron around the sides and top. I did do around the base however I was pressed for time today and didn't finish it. I was all to eager to test out my new burner. Also I promise I wont burn down any buildings in the meantime hahaha

Read these. They are pinned for good reason.

Very simple beginners propane forge!!! - Beginners Place - Bladesmith's Forum Board (bladesmithsforum.com)

Psssst Newbie, wanna build a propane forge? - Beginners Place - Bladesmith's Forum Board (bladesmithsforum.com)

That should get you on track

Edited by Joshua States
  • Thanks 1