So I offered a price I figured wouldn't do it......

So the title pretty much says it! So I offered a price I figured they wouldn't accept and they took it! So I got the post vice for a decent price. It's got a 5" jaw so not too bad. As the pics show it need some work. Can't say for sure till I get my hands on it what the deal is with the spindle and the screw thread is. But it is not original! I am thinking it may be too short. Not much thread there for opening the vice. What was the average length on post vice screw thread? 

Has anyone ever attempted to make a screw box? 

The spring and mounting bracket and key wedges aren't going to be too bad to make. At least I think!! :lol:

post vice 1.jpg  post vice 2.jpg

posdt vice 3.jpg 

So only time  will tell if I did good or not! shoulder shrug.jpg 

Looks salvageable!  That screw and box look like they came off a woodworking vise, but they fit, so there you go.  Most post vises only open about four to six inches maximum, and most smiths never need them to open more than two inches or so.  That slight jaw misalignment may be tricky, but not seeing it in person I can't tell if it's an issue with the bracket for the moveable jaw, or if it's wear on the pivot.  

If nothing else, it's a lot of wrought iron!

I rebuilt my stripped box, but I had the original also made a thrust washer and attached a new screw. The wrought on mine is super clean I'll save it for special projects. By the way my screw is 1 1/4 inch.

20210807_142431.jpg

20210807_143352.jpg

20210730_162307.jpg

Sometimes a find needs a little work.  This one weighs 147 pounds, some previous owner dummy pounded on the pivot bolt with a sledge (must have been a 20 pounder!)  such that the vise was seized up.    

mhnXUib.jpg[/

Umm.  Just plain bad news.  Could not turn it.

3Sxdy6J.jpg

Stuck it on the milling machine table.

oQjvL8b.jpg

Wacked off with a saws all.

nJ87lNC.jpg

Some drilling.

Fh3gGct.jpg

Ready for a new bolt.

4Um9h7V.jpg

Ready for use with a new square head bolt from Blacksmith Bolts

TyITgtW.jpg

So yea yours is fixable.    Machine a new screw and box if you have a lathe, or buy some acme threaded rod and a nut and start fabricating.  Easy as pie.

Edited by John Ricks
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

If nothing else, it's a lot of wrought iron!

Alan, I can't believe you said that!!  shocked.jpg

10 hours ago, Gilbert McCann said:

I rebuilt my stripped box, but I had the original also made a thrust washer and attached a new screw. The wrought on mine is super clean I'll save it for special projects. By the way my screw is 1 1/4 inch.

Was already thinking of something similar to this. Thanks for the pic!  20210730_162307.jpg 

8 hours ago, John Ricks said:

So yea yours is fixable.    Machine a new screw and box if you have a lathe, or buy some acme threaded rod and a nut and start fabricating.  Easy as pie.

Great pics!! 

Thanks everyone!

Edited by C Craft
10 minutes ago, C Craft said:

Alan, I can't believe you said that!!  

Sorry, forgot to add the ;)!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as the forging are good and solid, everything else is repairable. I did a very simple system of plates that is similar to what you have there.  It's held for years, I used 1/4 stock that one holds the nut, and a second one acts as a large washer.  Over the years the 1/4 washer plate as begun to bow into where the screw box once was.  I've planned on fixing it once it finally can't grip anything.   

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Hey guys I forget the that there is a like feature on the forum so if I don't like your post, its probably just because I forget to use the like!!

See the real problem is I have a sickness. I bought another post vice! ashamed.jpg  PV 1.jpg  It's a sickness, I hope I don't recover from!! This second one is heavier built that the first one. Other than being quite crusty it seems to have all of its parts and pieces! What the hey everyone needs two post vices!! :rolleyes:

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2