This is not my typical fare. Small Ulu in W1 steel with moose antler handle. This will be my personal head knife for leather work. 
I am working on antler carving, but I am still just scratching the surface.......:P

DSCN6967.jpg

DSCN6968.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

That’s a really neat little knife Josh and I really like your carving. It looks authentic.

• Thanks 1

I've seen far worse carving, keep it up.  I don't know if you need it but Boone Trading Company sells scrimshaw supplies.

Doug

• Like 1

I am liking that one, Josh!

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

I've seen far worse carving, keep it up.  I don't know if you need it but Boone Trading Company sells scrimshaw supplies.

Doug

Scrim is a whole 'nuther artform. I'll check it out, but I already have a bunch of engraving tools I need to learn how to use......:huh:

On 8/15/2021 at 9:13 PM, jake pogrebinsky said:

Weygeresque manner

I need to Google this.......

Alexander Weygers?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Alexander Weygers?

That would be my assumption.  Dude was a great smith, and his book(s) are well worth owning.  

• Like 1

At times like these i feel most inadequate-for not having a capacity to Amazon-magic a copy of "The Compleat Blacksmith" right to Joshua's door:(

For better or worse i've made my choices long ago,and not only have no capacity to shop electronically/remotely,but actually never even having had a bank account ...And this particular instance,and similar,is the absolutely Only instances of regret that i ever  experience...:(

• Like 1

What a great story about Weygers. Typical Dutch idea about not wasting anything and re-using all kinds of old things. I have saved so many things from dumpsters here in Delft that people threw out when they were renovating old houses, and used them for new projects.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, jake pogrebinsky said:

but actually never even having had a bank account ...And this particular instance,and similar,is the absolutely Only instances of regret that i ever  experience...

That is nothing to regret my friend. In this day and age, it's a bloody miracle. 

• Like 2

'

I hear you,Joshua,but it's such a cool trick,a privilege,really,to be able to just shoot a book someone's way...Any book,too!

Thinking about all that i just thought of one of my favorite Richard Brautigan poems:

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
     (right now please!)
of a cybernetic forest