Engraved Japanese Forging Hammer

Sup!

I made this hammer by using the holdless welding method seem by genno smiths, whereby the face is held only in place with flux and charcoal fines.

In addition I tried out the japanese technique with a riffle hammer to chequer the softer steel body to help the hardsteel merge more strongly.

I think it was quite good? Maybe? 

I beat my carved out touchmark into it

then after the annealing, carried it over to the engraving bench and after praying to Ford Hallam for 3 days, the engraving was done.

An earth shattering dragon.

The embodiment of hitting-stuff-with-a-hammer, an Uragaan! 

(I know videogames are evil but...I had to)

the oak handle was fitted to the straight square eye, using the traditional Kigorishi fitting technique(making the big small, putting it into the small and making it big again)

Oh and.that rusted banana thing, is the first hammer I'd been using so far

Did I forget anything to mention?

I dunno but this hammer makes me feel like I just stepped up a notch!

I tried...

Now onto the next!

IMG_20210815_195839_987.jpg

IMG_20210815_195839_949.jpg

IMG_20210815_211401.jpg

IMG_20210815_191416.jpg

IMG_20210815_195840_003.jpg

IMG_20210815_195839_993.jpg

IMG_20210815_191401.jpg

IMG_20210815_191337.jpg

IMG_20210815_191431.jpg

Edited by J.Leon_Szesny
  • Like 9
On 8/20/2021 at 4:38 AM, Joshua States said:

If I had made that, I would be damned proud of it!

Thanks! So far the hammer has been feeling like magic

1 hour ago, Francis Gastellu said:

One of a kind, good job.

I'm intrigued by the "making the big small, putting it into the small and making it big again" technique :P can you say more? :)

Sure can! It's called "Kigorishi" a japanese woodworking technique.

Usually used on wood + wood but works for handles as well.

A wooden dowel/handle is first prepared to be juust slightly oversized from the mortice/eye, then it is fitted by compressing the wood lightly with a hammer, no material is removed, unless there a big sections clearly in the way.

The final finish however is always the hammer compressing the wood to fit.

Then lastly it is driven through the mortice/eye and decompressed with oil or water, that way the natural size of the wood is restored, thus you have put "the big, in the small"

(It works bc japanese hammer eyes are straight/flat not hourglasses.)

(And a little extra in Japanese smithing style since the hammer is usually stored in water or frequently used with water.)

• Like 1
Just now, Francis Gastellu said:

That's interesting, thank you. For a hammer I think part of me would still want to add a wedge in there, but I'm a worrier ;)

Yah, you totally still could do that, with a Japanese style eye but the idea here is that you're keeping the woods natural integrity and strength fully intact.

Most of the time with a wedge I noticed it will eventually wear down and sink, then you either add more wedges or a new handles.

The japanese style only needs replacement once the handle breaks, cause slipping is a not a problem and can be fixed, with water.

Smack handle butt on anvil, place into water and you're good to go(if it loosened up at all)