forge welding a billet

When you initially forge weld your billet and you know you are successful  do you need to keep the billet at  2300 degrees or can you work it at a lower temp. when your forging it out?

I was told to always forge the billet at welding temperature...........

Personally, once the weld is set I work it at full welding heat for a few heats, then gradually work it slightly cooler, but never into the orange range until the blade is almost done.  Using fuel is preferable to delaminations, and a few normalizations fix the grain size.

17 minutes ago, Matt Walker said:

Plastic deformation also plays a part in grain reduction according to Len Landrum. 

Plastic deformation (with a following austenitization) actually refines grains much more effectively than thermal cycling alone.  One of these days I'll get around to writing up a piece I have been thinking about on the hows and whys of grain refinement.  It'll need a few pictures though.  

Hey Jerrod, those of who know Len trust him without hesitation, but it is nice to hear you confirm. Seems like when Len made his presentation he mentioned 3 ways to refine grain. Thermal cycling, plastic deformation and if there was a third one I can't remember it.

Dave Lisch says to forge it as hot and fast as possible to minimize carbon loss.