I have been putting my blade in a cold kiln and setting the temperature to 1550 and when it arrives I pull the blade and quench?

Question..........Should the kiln be at temperature before the blade goes in thus bringing the blade up rapidly to temp.

Yes, putting your blade in a cold kiln and then bringing it up to heat could cause grain growth as it sits at critical temperatures as your coils cycle unless you are dealing with an alloy that requires a long soak at temperature.  In other words, this is not something you would want to do with a 10XX steel.  Bring the kiln up to temperature, insert the blade, let it come back up to temperature, and time from there.  For simple steels give it about 5 minutes.  For more complex alloys look up the requirements and follow them.

Doug

Pretty much what Doug said.  The caveat to this is that some geometries may have warping issues if heated too quickly (things that are heavily unevenly ground, for example).  Also, some alloys can have cracking issues if heated too quickly, but these are generally some of the crazy stainless options.  

To go along with what Jerrod said, if the instructions said to soak the steel at 1400°. for example, and let the temperature stabilize and then heat to 1700° to avoid cracking I would preheat my kiln to 1400°, place my blade in, let the heat recover, soak for about 5 minutes or so and then change the temp setting to 1700°, let it come up to temperature and soak the steel for the stated time.

Doug