My first Bowie. I had fun with this one.

I know this isn't up to the quality of many of the blades I see here, but I am overall pleased with it.  This was the first Bowie I made, first distal tapering tang and first clip point.  Lots of learning on this one.  It is made from 80CrV2 with a stabilized buckeye burl handle.

8in Bowie no sheath.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

• Like 8

That looks a lot better than many first tries at a knife style.  I don't see much of anything to criticize.  Make another one:D.

Doug

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the kind words.  I am never quite sure what other bladesmith's may say when I post my work, but I figure it is a good way to get some constructive feedback and attempt to improve for the next time.  Many more are hopefully in my future but I am not sure what the next blade is going to be.  I have a few blacksmith projects that might come first though.

• Like 1

Looks great to me. I pretty much wont make a knife now that doesnt have a bolster.

I am trying to figure out how you did that bolster/guard combo.

Did ya just run the bolsters long in the guard area....then sammich another piece of brass in the center to fill the void...then pin the 3 together as well as on the blade??

6 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Keep it up. I've found out that every knife I made there's always a learning experience to be found. Been trying to figure out what you did for the blade finish? 

Thank you.  The blade finish was hand sanded up to 800 grit and blended/polished with an ultra fine scotchbrite hand pad.

4 hours ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

Looks great to me. I pretty much wont make a knife now that doesnt have a bolster.

I am trying to figure out how you did that bolster/guard combo.

Did ya just run the bolsters long in the guard area....then sammich another piece of brass in the center to fill the void...then pin the 3 together as well as on the blade??

Thank you as well.  The guard is one piece.  i milled a slot the width and rough height of the ricasso, filed the bottom square, pinned it and soldered it on.  It was a serious pain locating the pins and I probably should have done that before I went to the final depth with the filing.

• Like 2