Handle treatment for water

So... I'm made a kitchen knife, I have my stabilized burlwood but it still loses its shine if I wash out the knife after using it. Is there anything you guys recommend so I don't lose my finish on the handle? 

1 hour ago, Welsh joel said:

I just picked this up to try... haven't used it yet, but was recommended. 

According to its SDS, it's just mineral oil, which you can buy at any grocery store for 2-3 dollars a pint.

A little outside my knowledge base, but the only water resistant and shiny finishes, are varnish and polyurethane, and they're going to leave a finish that might be a bit slippery 

A water proof varnish, your looking for a Spar Varnish which is normally something used in furniture making/ boat building.  Minwax makes Helmsman spar urethane, in the typical matte gloss and semi gloss.  Works well, also for extra protection on wood, I've used Bruce's floor wax which is more like a typical floor wax.  It will buff to a semi gloss finish and is more like a petroleum product which if you follow the directions it is meant to be buffed occasionally to it's original finish. 

The tired and tested waterproofing is linseed wax for wood.  All urethane products over time when exposed to warm water probably will need some care form time to time.  Their all semi permeable like paint, and nearly all  are linseed oil based. 

For a recent project intend for outdoor use, I've used 1 coat sanding sealer to seal the wood, and 3 coats of spar varnish (urethane), and then the wax on top of that.

Epoxies are another idea, however I don't use them for wood.  Also they may dull or even turn yellow over time.

4 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

A water proof varnish, your looking for a Spar Varnish which is normally something used in furniture making/ boat building.  Minwax makes Helmsman spar urethane, in the typical matte gloss and semi gloss.  Works well, also for extra protection on wood, I've used Bruce's floor wax which is more like a typical floor wax.  It will buff to a semi gloss finish and is more like a petroleum product which if you follow the directions it is meant to be buffed occasionally to it's original finish. 

The tired and tested waterproofing is linseed wax for wood.  All urethane products over time when exposed to warm water probably will need some care form time to time.  Their all semi permeable like paint, and nearly all  are linseed oil based. 

For a recent project intend for outdoor use, I've used 1 coat sanding sealer to seal the wood, and 3 coats of spar varnish (urethane), and then the wax on top of that.

Epoxies are another idea, however I don't use them for wood.  Also they may dull or even turn yellow over time.

Thanks for all that valuable info Daniel!