A new journey into Kitchen knives.

Hey folks. Hope everyone is have a wonderful week so far.

Kitchen knives are stereotypical, boring (at times), hard to do right (I'm my opinion), and overall just a pain in my butt. But here were are. This is my most recent one off the bench with much trial and error.... still working on the handle design a bit and I apologize I don't have better photos of the overall knife. They were taken at delivery to the customer. 

Anyways hope yall have a great evening! Cheers. PSX_20210829_213508.jpg

PSX_20210829_213142.jpg

• Like 4

Well, that's a pretty nice looking knife Austin. 

Shredding/chopping Brussel Sprouts? That's a serious violation.........:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is a really nice kitchen knife, I personally like these slim smaller knives more than full size chef's knives, even if used for crimes against poor sprouts ;) 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

The very existence of sprouts is a serious violation

Enough butter and garlic, anything becomes a delicacy! Sprouts are a crociferous veggie. Old guys like me know why they are important........:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love the knife!

Toss some cut up sprouts in salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil, and a splash of Worcestershire sauce, then roast until crispy. You can thank me later lol

Edited by Eric Morgan
  • Like 2

That is a pretty blade.  What's the handle wood?

I'm a little more simplistic with brussel sprouts.  Steam'em, melt a little butter over the top and sprinkle with salt. B)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

That is a pretty blade.  What's the handle wood?

I'm a little more simplistic with brussel sprouts.  Steam'em, melt a little butter over the top and sprinkle with salt. B)

Butter and pepper on them is perfect and the knife handle is lovely with just the right size blade for general kitchen work. Will get far more use than most knives either side of it size wise. 

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Thanks 1

Thanks folks! It's a maple handle.

I love how this has turned into a brussel sprout recipe discussion. Personally I fry them up in olive oil, salt pepper with a dash of apple cider vinegar in the end. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I steam them and then grate cheese over them or make cheese sauce. Apparantly a small percentage of people have a gene the makes some chemical in sprouts and other veggies taste like bitter soap.

2 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

In my case, it's cilantro that tastes like soap. Another matter of genes, apparently. 

Same here.  Might as well pour Dawn dish soap on my food as put cilantro on it. Exact same flavor, with a hint of Raid roach spray.  To me, sprouts don't taste like soap, they taste like bitter death. Everything in the brassica family does, to varying degrees.  Cabbage isn't too bad, kale is terrible, and sprouts are the very worst. Toxically bitter.

Here's an article on why that is: https://gizmodo.com/are-there-some-vegetables-you-cant-stand-it-may-be-gen-1532668567

Pro tip: If you cook your brussel sprouts in coconut oil it makes it easier to slide them off of your plate and into the garbage.

Really nice looking knife, Austin. I like the curve of the base of the blade near the bolster. Also, the sweeping curve of the butt of the grip is elegant. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

In my case, it's cilantro that tastes like soap

I can see that.  You brought me back to my first taste of cilantro years ago, and I remember thinking this, too.  But now I like it.   

To me, it's amazing how we humans, through time can change things that are initially distasteful into something we want.  (ie: coffee, cigarettes, wine, wasabi, hot peppers, etc.)

• Like 1