searching for a good power hammer

I'm hoping someone can give me some info on where to find power hammers. i'm looking for something on the smaller side, slightly more heavy duty than a treadle hammer but not a monstrous 20,000 dollar beast. as much as i would love to give building something like this a go, i have next to no time. my forging has been reduced to the weekend as my day job takes up the entire week. anyone from the new england area know anyone who makes power hammers, price range i am hoping for is between 1000 and 3000. trying to price things out now so i know what to expect later. thank you.

It sounds like a tire hammer would suit you well.  If you don't want to build your own check with either Raymond Head or David Custer.  You can find both on FaceBook.

I bought an Anyang 33 from James Johnson. Can handle 2 inch billet with ease. No special foundation needed. Not cheap , but everything works from the get go. And James and his people are great at answering any questions you may have   Buy once , cry once.

New England, also known as the  Land of the good Yankee, is quite active with blacksmiths and bladesmiths.  Look around and find your local group, you'll be pleased with how supportive they are with new folks.   On blacksmiths in NE, the NEB is having their fall meet this weekend at Brentwood NH.  Great place to meet, greet and ask questions.  http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/2021/07/2021-fall-meet/

Seven grand-ish and you can start lovin' B)

On 9/14/2021 at 3:01 PM, doc blues said:

I bought an Anyang 33 from James Johnson. Can handle 2 inch billet with ease. No special foundation needed. Not cheap , but everything works from the get go. And James and his people are great at answering any questions you may have   Buy once , cry once.

unfortunately buy once and cry once is not feasible for me when i have to save up from nothing. if i had 10k in my bank and could afford it sure, buy it once and be done with it. it'll make the money back. i dont have anything near 10k. i dont have anything near 5k. reason i am pricing things out now is so i know what i have to save to. this logic, while understandable, is only good to people who have the money to be able to buy it in the first place. also, 3k is a lot easier to save to than 26k that some real nice power hammers go for.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:50 PM, Shane Atwood said:

Might be out of the price range, but I would love to get an Anyang AFP hammer from James.

doesnt seem that bad. at least, the smaller end is decent. 6k for this one https://www.anyangusa.net/33-lb.-hs-hammer.html. i think a tire hammer or a smaller version of that would be ideal for me though, i dont have an actual worshop so i need something i can move if i have to.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, Wayne Coe said:

It sounds like a tire hammer would suit you well.  If you don't want to build your own check with either Raymond Head or David Custer.  You can find both on FaceBook.

a tire hammer does sound more feasible for me but i dont think i would be able to deal with those guys. not that i have an issue with them just when i checked out raymon's page it said you have to pick up the machine, i am guessing at his place, in alabama. i unfortunately dont have that kind of time to make that kind of trip. not to mention the gear i would need to transport it back home. thats not something thats doable for me. i appreciate the info but i think i would need something closer.

Just Google "Tire Hammer".  You could get the plans from Clay Spencer and build your own.  I think that both Raymond and David ship by freight company or you could engage a freight company to pick up and deliver the hammer.

I just Googled Blacksmith Tire Hammer and got lots of hits.

Edited by Wayne Coe
7 hours ago, Nick C. said:

a tire hammer does sound more feasible for me but i dont think i would be able to deal with those guys. not that i have an issue with them just when i checked out raymon's page it said you have to pick up the machine, i am guessing at his place, in alabama. i unfortunately dont have that kind of time to make that kind of trip. not to mention the gear i would need to transport it back home. thats not something thats doable for me. i appreciate the info but i think i would need something closer.

I built one and it was quite bit of a work. I assume if you dont have time for trip, the build is off. But why not look the clasifieds for older littler giant or something similar. Cannot be that much money?

Now that one definitely looks like it's doable to me.  Not having much experience with power hammers, I'll ask the question.  Are there any major drawbacks to that type of design?

14 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Now that one definitely looks like it's doable to me.  Not having much experience with power hammers, I'll ask the question.  Are there any major drawbacks to that type of design?

I dont think so, they usually have smaller lift of the ram, so when you use tooling over the dies it needs to be designed quite flat. Also I would make the main spring bearing bronze in steel like here, not the usual cast iron/ball bearing. Thats the only thing I would seriously consider spending money. If you look, you might find and buy the electric motor geared down, which would make the transmition job really simple one.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jaro Petrina said:

I built one and it was quite bit of a work. I assume if you dont have time for trip, the build is off. But why not look the clasifieds for older littler giant or something similar. Cannot be that much money?

i could build one if i could source all the metal for a build, it would just take me a while since i only have the weekend to do anything. the only thing that would be difficult for me is the welding. i can weld good but i have never welded anything that absolutely needed to stay together, it was all small things. i dont know how my welds would hold up with thicker steel and plus the vibration of t he hammer.

4 minutes ago, Nick C. said:

i could build one if i could source all the metal for a build, it would just take me a while since i only have the weekend to do anything. the only thing that would be difficult for me is the welding. i can weld good but i have never welded anything that absolutely needed to stay together, it was all small things. i dont know how my welds would hold up with thicker steel and plus the vibration of t he hammer.

The rotary parts need to be turned and such. But the one with the straight spring is much easier to do.

image000000 (2).jpg