Angle grinder stone flywheel for flattening hard anvils?

Yo, 

I'm wondering how flat these angle grinder pot shaped stone attachments grind surfaces.

I got a hard anvil that needs a bit of flattening due to hardening and welding distortion.

It has some flat spots I can use, so I'm a bit reluctant to try and potentially ruin it with an angle grinder stone wheel thingy.

What's it called in English?

47 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Cup wheel.  They are very aggressive, but in skilled hands they do a good job.

Aight, as long as it's not terrible, I'm willing to give it a try.

You can try a flap disc, too. Not quite as flat, but much less aggressive. To make sure you're touching the right spots, you can coat the anvil face with Dykem and rub a small surface plate/wide, flat piece of steel on it. Wherever the Dykem was rubbed off, that's where you have a high spot.

33 minutes ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

You can try a flap disc, too. Not quite as flat, but much less aggressive. To make sure you're touching the right spots, you can coat the anvil face with Dykem and rub a small surface plate/wide, flat piece of steel on it. Wherever the Dykem was rubbed off, that's where you have a high spot.

Yaah, I tried flap disks and files and stones...buut thats still a bit too inconsistent, and the flat disk is too aggressive.

I hone my anvils with whetstones but pointless to do with how slightly warped it is.

This was with flap disk and stone.

I got a usable flat section for small knives and plane blades but if I tried to straighten saws or wider knives, that section probably is too small.

IMG_20210914_155136.jpg

I've always found it easier to straighten things on a not-flat surface.  A slight valley gives a good spot to add counterbend to allow for spring-back.

• Like 1

I like a sanding disc for more control than a flap wheel:

sander.jpg

On 9/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I've always found it easier to straighten things on a not-flat surface.  A slight valley gives a good spot to add counterbend to allow for spring-back.

For general straightening I use a wood anvil. This anvil is supposed to be for fine/final adjustments and checking, especially for tools that need precision.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, Don Abbott said:

I like a sanding disc for more control than a flap wheel:

sander.jpg

Tried those, they were terrible, almost immediately lost grit and or ground themselves up.

Maybe there are better ones? 

I get Gator brand discs and the seem to hold up well.