Jump to content

Angle grinder stone flywheel for flattening hard anvils?


Recommended Posts

Yo, 

I'm wondering how flat these angle grinder pot shaped stone attachments grind surfaces.

I got a hard anvil that needs a bit of flattening due to hardening and welding distortion.

It has some flat spots I can use, so I'm a bit reluctant to try and potentially ruin it with an angle grinder stone wheel thingy.

What's it called in English?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Cup wheel.  They are very aggressive, but in skilled hands they do a good job.

Aight, as long as it's not terrible, I'm willing to give it a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try a flap disc, too. Not quite as flat, but much less aggressive. To make sure you're touching the right spots, you can coat the anvil face with Dykem and rub a small surface plate/wide, flat piece of steel on it. Wherever the Dykem was rubbed off, that's where you have a high spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

You can try a flap disc, too. Not quite as flat, but much less aggressive. To make sure you're touching the right spots, you can coat the anvil face with Dykem and rub a small surface plate/wide, flat piece of steel on it. Wherever the Dykem was rubbed off, that's where you have a high spot.

Yaah, I tried flap disks and files and stones...buut thats still a bit too inconsistent, and the flat disk is too aggressive.

I hone my anvils with whetstones but pointless to do with how slightly warped it is.

 

This was with flap disk and stone.

I got a usable flat section for small knives and plane blades but if I tried to straighten saws or wider knives, that section probably is too small.

IMG_20210914_155136.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always found it easier to straighten things on a not-flat surface.  A slight valley gives a good spot to add counterbend to allow for spring-back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a sanding disc for more control than a flap wheel:

sander.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I've always found it easier to straighten things on a not-flat surface.  A slight valley gives a good spot to add counterbend to allow for spring-back.

For general straightening I use a wood anvil. This anvil is supposed to be for fine/final adjustments and checking, especially for tools that need precision.

 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, Don Abbott said:

I like a sanding disc for more control than a flap wheel:

sander.jpg

 

Tried those, they were terrible, almost immediately lost grit and or ground themselves up.

Maybe there are better ones? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get Gator brand discs and the seem to hold up well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...