OK Hivemind. I need some help identifying this whetstone I have had for some years. Purple on one side, yellow on the other. Both fairly soft. Any ideas?

Odd Stone (1).jpg

Odd Stone (2).jpg

Odd Stone (3).jpg

Odd Stone (4).jpg

I've seen one before, maybe in the butcher shop at my grandfather's grocery store in the 70's?  My guess would be 1950s vintage. I could be totally wrong, of course!

Several notabe smiths on FB tell me the purple is nothing but a backing for the yellow stone. The yellow stone is supposedly Belgian Coticule, 8000 grit water stone.

It's about the right size and shape for a barber's hone, but I don't think I've ever seen one backed like that.  Is that a notch in the yellow that goes all the way across?  If so. I'd bet it is a barber's hone that cracked so somebody bonded it to a backer to keep using it.

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'd bet it is a barber's hone that cracked so somebody bonded it to a backer to keep using it.

What I thought at first as well. After someone told me the purple one was probably a piece of slate backer, or (if I was really lucky) a Belgian Blue Stone, I started looking on line. I found this: https://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/category_details.php?category_id=74

I have a Belgian Blue that my wife's grandfather used for his razor.  It's a little more green than the ones on that site, but that's definitely your yellow stone.

• Like 1

It does look like one of the belgian stones, I have a small double sided one, but on mine the blue stone is more of a grayish blue than purple.

The coticule are fairly soft, but not really friable if that makes sense.

They are also very high grit and leave a fine polish and really sharp edge.

If it is an belgian you are lucky becuase they are quite expensive in those sizes

• Thanks 1