Forging a Handled Butcher

• Niels Provos changed the title to Forging a Handled Butcher
17 minutes ago, Niels Provos said:

Not a single comment?

Oy!!!    Aren't we Americans allowed some sleep time???? :P

Nice job on the forging, especially doing it all yourself sans striker.

Looks really good.   My only comment would be that I tend to prefer a butcher with a little less (or would that be considered more?) of an angle, something closer to 60 degrees opposed to 45...

Edited by billyO

If I was being super critical, I would have left that struck end about twice as long but tapered twice as much.  Top tools have that tendency to mushroom where most people cut if off, however I've found to reforge it before it gets too bad (then normalize the struck end).  I was taught to keep my handled top tools loose and un-wedged, although I've never had the experience of breaking the handle of one that was. A comment made to me was that a top tool that is very tight, takes all the shock into the handle and breaks its over time and use.  But all handles eventually break. I've been making top tools that are tong held rather than bothering with wood handles.  Those tend to slip when struck if you don't cut a grove in the tool for the tongs to hold them.

Degrees of butchers, kinda need a variety of them.

Over all, it would be a tool I would be proud to have made and use. 

Edited by Daniel W

That's cool! So far, I have used Owen's hardy tool method, which also worked well. Anyways, thanks for posting!

P.S. When I first tried to watch the video, it said the link was unavailable. That's why I did not post a reply sooner.

2 hours ago, billyO said:

Oy!!!    Aren't we allowed some sleep time???? :P

This!:lol:

You know you need a different punch.  I'd use a Brazeal Brothers style, cut short to use with tongs under the power hammer, and preferably made from H-13 or S-7.  And some punch lube.  That stuff really makes a difference! Plus with the water-based alkaline salt types like this stuff:  https://www.anvilfire.com/sales/blacksmith-supplies/forge-ease-3512/ , you can use the container to cool off the punch and simultaneously get a fresh coat of lube.  I can't recommend it enough for punching/slitting and even drifting. I also agree that I prefer a more obtuse angle for these, 60 to 75 degrees, but every smith is going to have a different idea about that.   

I have always heard and read the same thing about never wedging a top tool, mostly to lower felt shock and also to be able to quickly replace it if it gets broken by an errant blow by your striker.  However, if you don't work with a striker that's not really an issue.  I use my top tools under a treadle hammer, and it does help with felt shock to have a rather springy handle or a tong-held tool that can wiggle a bit.  

Your videos are always top-notch quality, and this is no exception.  

Nice work sir! Never having used one, let alone made one, I have no criticism, but I did like that video.

Edited by Joshua States
8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

This!:lol:

Sleep is important. I totally approve of it.

Thank you for all your comments. I appreciate it. I have to admit I did not do a lot of planning when I forged the butcher. I figured I have enough mass in there that I can change the shape any way I like if the current one doesn't quite work out.

As for the handle coming off, that's not my experience for the handled tools I have been using.  We'll see!

Billy O, if you read Niels' profile you would have seen that he is an American but don't feel bad, I want to place him in Norway or Denmark myself.

Doug

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

I want to place him in Norway or Denmark myself

I actually grew up very close to Denmark. For the first few years in the US, I thought my accent would slowly soften and disappear. While the softening happened, I have given up on disappearance a long time ago :-)

9 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Billy O, if you read Niels' profile...

Ahhh yes.  Another benefit of opening one's eyes, I did see that a while ago...Doggone it, we're even in the same time zone!

So let me re-phrase:   Oy!  Niels, not all of us are on the night shift!  :P

21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

it does help with felt shock to have a rather springy handle or a tong-held tool that can wiggle a bit.  

Wire wrapped handles work well for this.

Picture 3174 2012x984.jpg

• Like 1