Rohirrim set - Broken back seax and utility knife

Hello, I would like to introduce myself and especially my work here. My name is Jiri and I come from Czech Republic and I am interested in forging and other related crafts for a long time (maybe since i was 12 years old…now i am 25 :D). My work became presentable (I hope) since covid times, when i had plenty of time to practice. I enjoy making knives/ other things inspired by history and fantasy stories (mostly Lord of the rings). First thing i want to introduce, is my Rohirrim set which consists of small utility knife and bigger broken-back seax.

The small one is the first knife where i have used forge welding and it is made of old wrought iron nail which i took from my family´s countryside house roof and the edge is made of my grandfather´s broken drawknife. So this knife has a nice family story. Also, It has brass ferrulle with stylized horse heads ( I slightly improved my engraving skills during a time but it is not as good as i would like) and plum wood handle.

The big one is little bit younger and it was a big challenge for me, because i wanted something big and patternwelded and I don´t have any forging machinery so i had to make it just by a hammer. This one is a second attempt because i broke the first one after bad HT. For a blade i have used K720, mild steel and wrought iron from old Theresian fortress. Fittings are casted from broken cymbals (it is also a recycling project a bit :) ) . The handle itself is made of ash wooden core, tighten up with linen thread and covered with cow leather.

Sheaths of both knives are made of tooled leather with bronze and brass fittings. I applied some Rohirrim symbols on the knives and their sheaths, on the pommel of seax is stylized rising sun, which is also on buckles of sheath and there are also horse heads on the small knife and seax sheaths chape.

I hope you will enjoy my work and I am looking forward to some critics. And sorry for my english, I haven´t use it for a while. :)

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

• Like 10

Welcome indeed. I love the brass accents on the little by knife but the pair make a very nice presentation.

Nice work! You fit right in with the tradition of the forum. I really like the pattern welding and the leather carving.

It looks like you sewed the leather together around the handle of the broken back Seax. On the next one you might want to try skiving (making thin) the leather edge and gluing it over the other part. This can look like no seam exists.

This handle is made the same as yours is, but with no sewing.

V2 My Handle (2).jpg

The other two sides

V2 My Handle (3).jpg

If you look closely, you can see where the leather laps over.

V2 My Handle (1).jpg

Edited by Joshua States

Thank you all for reactions! 

Joshua, thank you for tips, it looks pretty nice, the joint is almost invisible! Can I ask you what type of glue did you use? I will certainly use it. 

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Nice work! You fit right in with the tradition of the forum. I really like the pattern welding and the leather carving.

It looks like you sewed the leather together around the handle of the broken back Seax. On the next one you might want to try skiving (making thin) the leather edge and gluing it over the other part. This can look like no seam exists.

This handle is made the same as yours is, but with no sewing.

I made this one in a classroom using animal hide glue. Other people have used simple white wood glue. I have used wood glue on other projects to hold leather together. It works well, but it can resist dye.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello i would like to tease you a little for my another project. It is going to be rohirrim pattern welded spear with brazed bronze inlayed wings. I will show just a part of the blade yet (the best part, because it has lot of mistakes again :/).  The progress of castings is very slow and inlaying is even slower for me . I hope i will finish it to the end of the year :D

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

vzor.jpg

• Like 4