Baby hydraulic press!

Oh God, just when I thought “enough of this hammering crap”..........gonna build me a DIY mini-press like what we’ve seen before on You Tube.......then here comes the Dream Machine!!!

And it looks like the whole arrangement can fit within a 4’x4’ area? (I did take Johns advice and looked at Coal Forge 12 ton). This is sweet as well

I already thrown Her a bone about building an outside shop, (didn’t include running electrical cost yet!), now this beauty and more sleepless nights. Good night! :(:( When does it all end? LMAO!

Gary LT

3 hours ago, John N said:

A 'log splitter' press is a very good option, just try and brace the frame, and remove some slop from the moving parts, the frames are really not designed for the 'dead stop' every 1 second you get forging! The power pack on this press is basically 'log splitter' with non standard pump / motor configuration!

Good point re: Bracing - any tips? Triangles are strong so I guess brace the body to the legs etc - Just wondering if the legs are built of sturdy enough stock & bracing is okay, or if they need replacing... I guess we'll see.

V interested in your forging presses... Have you considered a quick mailchimp email list sign-up to get notified when you've worked out a cost etc? I'd sign up and reckon others would, too! :D

If you're considering a log splitter be sure to check diameter of cylinder because you'll need at least 3.5" for a 12 ton at 2500 psi.  Also check the GPM of the pump.  Most log splitters have a low GPM giving a slow ram travel.

Most of the log splitters I've checked had very little that could be used with a decent forging press.  By the time the log splitter got large enough to have useful parts, the cost was close to what it cost to build a good press.

3 hours ago, Gary LT said:

(I did take Johns advice and looked at Coal Forge 12 ton)

Be sure to talk with them before ordering.  Their 12 ton press only has a 3" cylinder which gives 9 tons, NOT the 12 ton advertised.  As mentioned before I replaced the 3" cylinder that came on my Coal Iron press with a 4" cylinder that works good.

That looks awesome John (though a foot-switch option may be required). Financially speaking it’s probably just a pipe dream for me at the moment, but I would definitely want to know the price of one once you have it sorted. Thanks.

Edited by Charles dP