“Sideways” 110V Receptacles

I ordered a heat treating furnace at the beginning of the summer and it finally arrived a few weeks ago. I realized upon receiving it that it has a “sideways” prong on the 110V plug. 

My understanding is that plugs and receptacles like this are used for appliances that need to be on a 20A circuit. My shop has a 20A breaker for the lights/receptacles and one spare 20A in the box. Am I correct that this would mean it would not be overly difficult to have a receptacle installed for the furnace? Furthermore, would it be at all safe to make an extension cord to adapt to an existing outlet? The idea seems sketchy to me, but the 20A breaker would seem to imply the conductors in the wall are rated to that current and if I made an extension cord I could also use appropriately rated wire. 

I’m guessing the extension cord is a bad idea though. Mostly just a bit confused as to what the plug on this furnace actually means (like does it want to be all on its own on one breaker, etc). 

Aiden, I assume you have 110V DC, right?   With a 20A fuse it would mean your furnace ust be rated at 2,2 kW?  That seems kind a feeble to me. Let us know its power rating and from that the breaker can be easy calculated.  Long cord itself isnt bad, if anything it acts as a long induction dampener.  Does your furnace has any tag or sticker?

If it's one vertical and one sideways prong with a third round prong where the ground should be, they sent you one wired for 240 volts.  Check the labels carefully, running it on low voltage can fry the controls.

• Like 1

Ah, thank you Alan, glad I asked. I’ll take another look at the labels and manual. There is a high voltage socket for big appliances, but it’s the twist-and-lock kind (3 phase?). 

This is a bit outside my skill set, but I think depending on which side the horizontal is on, it can be either 20 Amp 125 or 240 I looked and came across 5-20P and 6-20P Plugs, 125 and 240 respectively.   But again, outside my skill set.

Edited by Gerald Boggs
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a little late to the game, but did you get this figured out?