A hand and a half sabre

Second sword of the year finished.

I found a blade in my ever growing pile of unfinished things and finally got an idea in how to finish it.

I'd like to call it a hand and a half sabre but opinions might vary 

88cm long blade and overall length of 110cm
8mm thick up at the guard and has a non linear distal taper to 3mm 5cm from the tip
Point of balance is 9cm from the guard and point of percussion is right in front of the fuller 56cm from the guard
Quite beefy at 1615grams and it has a strong appleseed edge, false edge from fuller to tip is sharp as well.
Grip is a boxwood core wound with hemp cord and covered in thin veg tanned leather.

IMG_20211011_153032.jpg

IMG_20211011_153043.jpg

IMG_20211011_153015_1.jpg

IMG_20211011_152956.jpg

IMG_20211011_152938.jpg

• Like 6

Goodness….. very impressive inspiration and execution. Can even imagine how much time and effort went into the handle pommel alone!

Really good work!

Gary LT

I should mention I also like it because your dragon head quillon ends are the same as my dragon heads I use on hooks. B)

On 10/12/2021 at 12:13 AM, Alan Longmire said:

I should mention I also like it because your dragon head quillon ends are the same as my dragon heads I use on hooks. B)

I like to think of myself as an alright bladesmith but I'm a mediocre blacksmith at best so those were a nice and simple way to make the quillons a little bit more interesting :lol: