I just saw this one come up for auction near me.  The auction ends this evening.  This pics don't give much in the way of an idea of the maker, but I'm hoping maybe there's something that'll give the anvil guru's a clue.  It's currently bid at $2.50ish / pound, I was thinking about going up to $3-$3.25 if the anvil is worth it.

decfabb1502f1038992c8a8e3699a56f.jpegb8e79629567c491558cb5d3397e0faa3.jpeg3adc1f630dcd11c61654a3070c9253db.jpeg19c305edbb01b50a86f4390ad17195f4.jpeg

It's got the full width ledge fore and aft of the feet that I associate with Peter Wright, but I don't know much about identifying anvils.

Edited by Brian Dougherty
13 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

full width ledge fore and aft of the feet that I associate with Peter Wright

That's what I was thinking.  Looks like a later one, ca. 1900-1920.  

Hmmmmmm.  I don't mind paying for something that's worth it, but I'd hate to shuck out $400-$500 bucks for a dead piece of iron.  I wish I would have seen it sooner and had a chance to go take a look at it.

So I snuck out of work to go take a look at it.  There isn't any distinct markings that I could make out, but it's in decent shape and seems to have adequate rebound.  The multiple coats of paint are probably doing a good job of hiding any markings.  I did take a pic of the bottom if that helps at all.

20211014_152920.jpg

I'm still thinking Peter Wright.  The later ones have shallower stamping, and I think I can almost see one of the weight marks in that first pic.  Those will be the deepest stamps, but yeah, thick paint can fill those in.

Thanks for the help.  Moot point though.  I set my limit so it would be $4.00/lb after taxes and auction fees.  Then I went out to the shop and worked on a knife until after the auction was over so I wouldn't tempt myself into a bidding war.  Somebody decided that they could part with at least $10 more than I was willing to.  I hope it serves them well!

The FiF craze has slowed down here and I regularly see good condition anvils at reasonable prices on marketplace. I'm sure you'll find a good one soon enough.

Yeah, they're starting to come back to reasonable.  The good thing is that I now know what the wife's tolerance is for me to buy one. 

Besides, I didn't really want that one anyway.  Somebody had gone and hit it with a hammer! :lol: