THGTTG turns.....42!

You know, I am almost, but not quite, completely certain that somewhere along the line I have lost my towel.

#feelin'_old

"Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day."

To me the most important lesson from THGTTG and something I try to live by :) (and I'm getting older and more tired by the day ;) )

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Like 2

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

We (fellow nerds and myself) discovered this author late in high school, 92 or 93, when the books were a decade old.

Strange to think they can be new and exciting for somebody even today.

Edited by Gerhard Gerber

".....whose ape-descendant lifeforms are so vastly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

I'm still trying to figure out that flying business. I keep trying to forget I'm falling, but always get reminded with a jolt of pain when I hit the ground. 

Sigh, maybe Marvin can help if he ever shows up...

I find it extremely ironic that what I do for a living often involves talking to people who have had a similar experience to Arthur Dent's attempt to find the plans for a bypass scheduled to take his house.  Our plans are only easier to get in that the locked filing cabinet is not in a disused lavatory in the basement with a sign on the door that reads "Beware of the Leopard."  

• Haha 1

Somewhat ironically, the place where I work lost half of its property and was greatly disrupted a few years ago while a bypass was built through our side yard.  At the time I carried a cell phone that had "Don't Panic" engraved on the back.

• Haha 1

We also happen to be in week 42 b.t.w. :) 

And it just happens that 42 was the hardest sum of three cubes solution to solve, which took a global network of computers months to crack it: https://news.mit.edu/2019/answer-life-universe-and-everything-sum-three-cubes-mathematics-0910 

So there you have it. The ultimate question is (-80538738812075974)^3 + 80435758145817515^3 + 12602123297335631^3 ;) 

3 hours ago, Jeroen Zuiderwijk said:

And it just happens that 42 was the hardest sum of three cubes solution to solve, which took a global network of computers months to crack it: https://news.mit.edu/2019/answer-life-universe-and-everything-sum-three-cubes-mathematics-0910 

So there you have it. The ultimate question is (-80538738812075974)^3 + 80435758145817515^3 + 12602123297335631^3 ;) 

Well crap.  Now they've done it.  Now that the question is known, there is no reason for the earth to exist anymore.  I thought my lab mice were acting a bit suspicious lately...

20 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

what I do for a living often involves talking to people who have had a similar experience to Arthur Dent's

I actually work for the Planning Department.  I sometimes find myself telling people "of course there's a form to fill out, this is government." Luckily enough, the form does not have to be filled out in triplicate, sent in, queried, sent back, resubmitted, subjected to public inquiry, lost, found again, buried in soft peat for 3 months, and eventually recycled into fire lighters.......unless of course, you are asking for a refund of fees.

Edited by Joshua States