HI GUYS, HOW'S THE MORNING GOING!!! 

alright, I am certain this is just a bad dad joke and I shouldn't post it, but against my better judgement I am going to.

State of current affairs have nearly killed all my forge time which keeps me quiet.

The real life job has slowed down, but still working enough OT that it puts a damper on setting up shop.  I have about 4 projects planned but am losing the time to do them. 

One of them I was getting kind of excited about was how many things I could make from the scrap leaf spring laying I've got around.  Tools not knives, based on some old pined posts here and just some general ideas to see if they work.  With steel and propane prices looking to hit an all time high, it was looking like the most efficient use of my time.  The more tools I make may help cut down on the actual project forge time.  I was looking to make a post once I had at least one of these tools made up as the pattern could allow up to 16 tools from one length of spring.

I got a second forge ready to be built, much smaller than my first to again help with running costs.  If it runs better than my 10' forge I'll be happy. 

I've noticed it on all the boards I subscribe to.  Maybe it's because there are fewer shows going on fewer people are making knives.

Doug

I lurk alot lately, haven't posted much- because I haven't touched a blade in a couple months.

Life's thrown a monkey wrench in my forge time, it's getting cold here in the midwest- which I hate with a passion.

And work has been crazy lately... last couple days this past week has been 0700 morning to 2130 or 2200 at night. Long days.

This year has kicked my arse worse than last year did, if you can believe that.

Migrated between 3 different networks which each time necessitated reloading the OS......and loosing stored passwords.

As some stage this year I stopped bothering to rest my password.

Just need to keep reminding myself "sharing is caring" 

Still lurking about. My activity in making is still very low, although since two months I have the odd hour here and there to progress on filing and finishing the one big job I still have to get done (another big bronze ceremonial sword) before I'm free to make stuff again just for fun. But ever since becoming a dad nearly 4 years ago, it's been "if I can get this and that off my list, I can finally spend some time on hobbies again" and then the next thing comes along. Beginning last year it seemed tangible, and then Covid came along and changed my plans entirely. Finishing the room for my daughter suddenly took an extra year, since I had to do everything by myself. Plus keeping a family sort of happy during lockdown is very hard work. So now I have a little time at the end of the evenings sometimes, if I don't have other stuff to take care off, and feeling not too exhausted, when I pick up my files and start filing away a bit. At least doing something once in a while results in progress, which keeps me motivated to so more. Lack of progress makes me unmotivated to do something, which is a vicious circle I have to break out of every time in order to get back into it again. Having a big job to finish before doing something for myself again also doesn't help. While I have ambitious projects in mind to get started with, I probably should start with something small, just to finish something fast and get going again. But realistically I don't think I'll have that much time for quite a few years still, but who knows. Anyway, those are my excuses for any lack of activity here :) 

• Like 2

Every time I'm reminded how difficult it must be raising kids through this mess I can't help feeling I should get over myself and be thankful :lol:

@Jeroen Zuiderwijk considering your skills I assumed this is your job, not your hobby B)  I wish for you much time and motivation.

29 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Every time I'm reminded how difficult it must be raising kids through this mess I can't help feeling I should get over myself and be thankful :lol:

@Jeroen Zuiderwijk considering your skills I assumed this is your job, not your hobby B)  I wish for you much time and motivation.

Considering the time I used to spend on it in the past, it was pretty much a second job, just not a paying one ;)  (not much at least). 

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Like 1

I have noticed the slow periods on the forum occur sporadically. It's not that unusual. We just get complacent and take the massive amout of activity that normally happens here for granted. My shop time has taken a significant hit lately with other things taking priority. Life happens as they say. I even opted out of doing Blade Show 2022 because I know that I will be neck deep in building a new house and shop next summer (fingers crossed). Meanwhile, several half-finished projects and a couple of commissions stare at me longingly every time I venture out to the garage........

• Like 1

I have noticed a definite drop off in the order book over the last couple of months so I will get to have a play with a couple of projects that I want to do so that will be my first venture into the longer stuff with a Hunting sword. Going away in the caravan for a bit of a break so not a lot to post on for now 

Edited by Garry Keown
2 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I have noticed a definite drop off in the order book over the last couple of months

Me too, I think folks are starting to be over the Stay at Home buying spree, this time last year, I was swamped with orders.

Yeah, it's been quite for the last few weeks.  I remember when I got into blade-smithing back in late 2013/early2014 this forum was also slow.  Much slower than it is today even.  Lead me to believe (wrongly) that it wasn't as good of a hangout as another forum that most of us have been kicked off of.  Then traffic really picked up here, and I realized how wrong that was.  Just another cycle I suppose.

I can't complain.  I haven't been contributing anything lately.  I got a bit burned out doing knives for money last year, and haven't made one since February.  However, I've pulled out a half-finished folder that I've been dabbling with again lately, and I have agreed to finish up a mosaic belt-knife for a friend.  I've also learned to limit commissions to one a year at most.  I need a hobby I can enjoy, not another job.

Indeed.  Although, my orders for folders have picked up.  That's why I don't post much in show and tell these days, you've seen the little one I've been making several times already.  Hard to get excited about a standardized product. 

• Like 1

I haven't lit the forge since January when we got our puppy. Speaking of our puppy he is 11 months old and weighs over 100#. 20211106_151343.jpg20211102_140941.jpg

I have had an itch to make something though. I really wanna make a spear for an upper peninsula russian hog hunt I'm trying to save for. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I haven't lit the forge since January when we got our puppy

I wondered what happened to you, Mr Blohm.  Good to hear you've been having fun!

• Like 1