Well, I guided my niece to her first whitetail harvest a few weeks back.  It's safe to say that she's hooked on hunting now, so I decided to make he a "real" general purpose hunting knife.  The pictures kind of suck, but she has it now so they are the best I'm going to get.

20211107_180502.jpg20211107_180544.jpg20211107_180559.jpg20211107_180440.jpg

3.5" blade of 1084.  Brass fittings with African Blackwood and figured Black Walnut.  The handle was a challenge as I tried to fit it to her tiny hand.  Normally I just make them feel right to me and move on. 

Comments and critiques are alway welcome.

• Like 5

Nice Alex. I like the way you curved the blackwood around the brass. Bet she loves the knife.

• Thanks 1

A well shaped little knife that will do all that is needed as a field knife for her. Abaout the same size and style as I carry myself so know how uesfull it will be.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Thanks 1

Much appreciated guys. 

@Charles dP, that effect is actually much easier than it looks.  It's a result of a simple 90 degree groove machined into the guard, with a matching angle cut onto the wood with a miter saw.  Once you start sanding the profile of the handle it naturally takes on that nice swooping curve. 

This pic shows it a little better from the top. 20211107_175648.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

An heirloom knife for your niece, that's actually one of the most appealing things about handmade knives in my opinion.  Well done, I rather like the contouring of the handle, it looks good!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alex. Something else to add to the (ever growing) 2do list :)

• Haha 1

Alex…. This is a real nice knife, good job! She’ll enjoy it for sure.

Gary LT

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

It's a result of a simple 90 degree groove machined into the guard, with a matching angle cut onto the wood with a miter saw.  Once you start sanding the profile of the handle it naturally takes on that nice swooping curve. 

Brilliant! absophucinglootely brilliant!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Brilliant! absophucinglootely brilliant!

That may be a bit of an overstatement, but much appreciated. LOL

It's pretty straightforward really.  The pics really don't show it well, but the brass spacer is actually set in on roughly a 1" radius as well, which gives a similar but less dramatic effect.  There's a litany of different effects that can be achieved with the basic idea, limited only to your equipment and imagination.

• Like 1