Re-using gas cannisters?

J.Leon_Szesny

Just wondering cause these feel like they're made of pretty thick...metal, steel?

Is there a way to safely open them?

Or anything cool/smart these could be used for?

This is oxygen btw.

I can guess the answers here but just wanting to make sure and get some insights

IMG_20211108_180832.jpg

Cutting into O2 should not give you any issues, but if you can open the valve and let it purge itself, that would be good.  The usual thing with flammable gasses is to purge them and then fill them with water before cutting.  It's messy but we need to be safe. 

I have made bells out of small ones (and bigger ones).   It's really too small to make a forge out of.  Maybe a cold smoke canister for smoking bacon and fish?  Barrel for an air powered tennis ball launcher?

g

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Since it was just oxygen, a hacksaw will work fine, no water needed.  That's only for flammable gasses.  Do be sure there no pressure left before cutting, you don't want that surprise. Sure it's "just" oxygen, but pure oxygen on a flammable substance (oily blade?) can cause a fire.  

• Thanks 1

I've used the North American equivalent of those as small pressure tanks for a variety of wacky "Creations" over the years.  However, I use up the tanks way faster than I can find ways to repurpose them.

-Brian

On 11/8/2021 at 9:41 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

I've used the North American equivalent of those as small pressure tanks for a variety of wacky "Creations" over the years.  However, I use up the tanks way faster than I can find ways to repurpose them.

Yea..I noticed, these don't last long.

I still haven't used up the propane it came with and had to restock 3oxy bottles.

I'm not even sure the refill cannisters are cheaper...not that I can afford it rn anyway(150€ locally.)

46 minutes ago, J.Leon_Szesny said:

I'm not even sure the refill cannisters are cheaper...not that I can afford it rn anyway(150€ locally.)

In my neck of the woods, it is expensive to buy into the refillable tanks, but once you have the tank, getting it refilled or exchanged is pretty inexpensive.  I paid about $300USD for my small oxygen and acetylene tanks, but can get them filled for $30.  (I think, it's been a couple of years since I filled them...)

-Brian

8 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

In my neck of the woods, it is expensive to buy into the refillable tanks, but once you have the tank, getting it refilled or exchanged is pretty inexpensive.  I paid about $300USD for my small oxygen and acetylene tanks, but can get them filled for $30.  (I think, it's been a couple of years since I filled them...)

but I think it was a 2L refill for 150euro (50 to refill)
vs a use-up 950ml(1L) for 20euro(used to be 18euro until I started buying them!)
so if I got that right...its cheaper to buy the piddly little bottles..

well but thats just at my local hardware store...hm theres probably a better place?