Heat treater's guide?

I am looking for a good collection of data about heat treating, specifically toughness/hardness charts for various steels.  I find it very valuable to know much steel X compares to steel Y at whatever hardness I am looking at.

Does the heat treater's guide contain this kind of information?  I can't seem to find examples of what content is exactly in the book.

Not really, and there are not many knife alloys in the Heat Treater's Guide. The Guide primarily is good for TTT and tempering hardness diagrams, with instructions for proper critical temperatures and quench media.  Many, but certainly not all, alloys also have micrographs to show representative microstructures for various heat treat condition.  For example, there are 12 micrographs for 12 different conditions for 1095.  There are 6 for 5160, but there are also 2 more for reference versus machined surfaces.  There are none for 9260, and 80CrV2 isn't even in the book.  This is all for my 2nd edition.  

Knife Steel Nerds is probably your best bet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the knife nerds book have good info on the oil speeds required for various alloys? It seems like most documents just "quench in oil" or something similar, but nothing about the speed of the oil. One of the things I've been trying to get better about is understanding the processes and variables outside of the actual steel alloy. 

38 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Not really, and there are not many knife alloys in the Heat Treater's Guide. The Guide primarily is good for TTT and tempering hardness diagrams, with instructions for proper critical temperatures and quench media.  Many, but certainly not all, alloys also have micrographs to show representative microstructures for various heat treat condition.  For example, there are 12 micrographs for 12 different conditions for 1095.  There are 6 for 5160, but there are also 2 more for reference versus machined surfaces.  There are none for 9260, and 80CrV2 isn't even in the book.  This is all for my 2nd edition.  

Knife Steel Nerds is probably your best bet.  

Thank you Jerrod, that is what I feared and you just saved me a considerable amount of money.

6 minutes ago, John Page said:

Does the knife nerds book have good info on the oil speeds required for various alloys? It seems like most documents just "quench in oil" or something similar, but nothing about the speed of the oil. One of the things I've been trying to get better about is understanding the processes and variables outside of the actual steel alloy. 

I don't recall there being specific oil speeds listed in that book, though it is an excellent book overall.

• Like 1