Kitchen Knife #2

Hello All!  Trying to remember to actually post and not just ogle your amazing work all the time, lol
Here is a Kitchen Knife (my 2nd ever in fact *EDITED TO ADD: Second Kitchen Knife ever. My 2nd knife ever was barely a knife, lol!) that I just finished up for a good friend.  I thought I'd Share the making of also, it'll kinda help explain myself and some the oddness of the blade.:ph34r:  I hope its not too many pictures...

The request was for a Bunka Type Kitchen knife ( you be the judge if we made it there), and the spin on it is San-mai using 15n20-Antique Steel-15n20.  The thought process was to give more material for a fuller sized knife and to help protect the antique steel from the potential of rust.
1 PLOW STEEL.JPG  2 RAW MATERIALS.JPG  3 THE STACK.jpg
The Antique Steel is from my friend's Great Great Great Grandpa's field plow.  His grandparents were forced to sell it due to space, and I wanted to give him a piece of his history back in a functional way.

4 WIRED TOGETHER.JPG  5 WELDED.jpg  6 PREFORM.jpg  7 FORGED OUT.jpg

The Welding and Forging Seemed to go Smooth, which of course smelled like trouble from the beginning

image0.jpeg  IMG_7539.jpg

The Weld did not take in a Significant amount of surface area on one side of the blade, even more so than what i suspected at first.  I think I didn't allow the whole bundle to come to heat in the center every time, just on one side.  So, after some discussion about how it would look and potentials for cracking, warping, and blowing up, we opted to remove the non welded portion.

8 time for surgery.jpg9 surgery complete.jpg

As You can see I left it pretty thick, specifically for this reason.  Took quite a chunk out of the beast.  I forged it back out mostly flat after this.  Next was Making a banana!:rolleyes:

10 PROFILED AND HARDENED.jpg 11 WARP.jpg

Wasn't a Terrible warp, but it did take both temper cycles and a few blue backing cycles to straighten out.

12 1ST TEMPER STRAIGHTEN.jpg13 2ND TEMPER STRAIGHTEN.jpg3RD LOWER TEMPER STRAIGHTEN.jpg15 BLU BACKED STRAIGHTENING.jpg19 STRAIGHT NEEDLE.jpg

I'll take it!!  Kept Warping on me during grinding which is why I resorted to the blue backing to help straighten out later on.

After Much grinding and profiling and some sanding we etched:

17 MORE SANDING.jpg 20 INITIAL ETCH.jpg 21 INITIAL ETCH.jpg

Next Was handle making and finishing:

22 Handle Time.jpg 23 Initial handle shaping.jpg 25 bolster shaping.jpg 27 layers.jpg

It's Orange Osage with a Bronze Bolster and a Micarta Spacer.  My friend is a very big fan of how Bronze looks and wanted it to be incorporated, but in my effort to mate the two pieces I took too much material away and needed to add the spacer..:wacko:

Welp, here's the whole thing, in all its fighting stubborn stinking glory, lol!
It's straight, sharp, comfortable, and my friend loves it, so I'll take it!!  What a ride...

31 finished 5.jpg32 finished 6.jpg

28 finished 1.jpg 33 finished 7.jpg 34 steel grain and scratch marks .jpg

Edited by Jaron Martindale
  • Like 2

I like the whole package. That was quite ambitious for a second knife :)

If I was to give your some critics, I'd say you're spine line is a bit weird and could have been easily fixed with a file or on the grinder. That's about it.

Well done

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Joël Mercier said:

ke the whole package. That was quite ambitious for a second knife 

Thank You, but I think I steered you wrong…:wacko: it’s just my second kitchen knife. My second knife ever was a large lump of metal with a bevel thicker than an axe, lol!!!

I’ll fix my verbiage in the original post:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Joël Mercier said:

If I was to give your some critics, I'd say you're spine line is a bit weird and could have been easily fixed with a file or on the grinder

Thank you, and critiques are definitely welcome!! I just thought I had too much to say/show to throw it in the critique section.:lol: