115crv3?

Aiden CC

So onto the next part, just wrapping a mild steel blank in a container (i use a piece of pipe) will work fine, but please note that this whole thing will not produce the best blade ever.

The reason I did it for this was two fold - 

First, I liked the patterning in the wrought iron, and wanted a knife with that pattern. So carburising then folding a bunch of times to yet the carbon homogenous (an even spread of it throughout the blade) didn't appeal as it would make the pattern a lot finer, and I liked it the way it was.

Second was that I didn't know any better at the time. It definitely works, but you end up with a blade that has an absolute outside that is probably like 2% carbon (waaay too much) and that gets less as it goes deeper. So it's really difficult to figure out exactly how to heat treat it because depending how deep you've ground, there's different amounts of carbon.

It works, but it's not close to modern steel.

On the cemetite part, the reason for the fancy word being used often in knife steel metallurgy is because most if the other stuff in steel (chromium, tungsten, vanadium, molybdenum etc.) will also form carbide, so people use it to specifically refer to iron carbide.

Would you like me to go into steel being a solution (like salt dissolved in water), or have I hit the preach limit?

Again, please know I'm not trying to be a condescending A-hole, and I expect you know most of what I said there allready. It's just easy to misunderstand a small part of something, and then the whole thing doesn't make much sense

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Rean. From your picture it looked like the carburization caused the colour. I'd never seen anything that caused steel to get so dark so deep into the metal before, and now I see it was just the etching! The Japanese use something like ferric chloride called nugui, it's an oil with ferrous oxide in it that darkens the surface a bit, and makes metal grain easier to see. They say there are lots of nugui recipes out there, some of which probably have chloride in them. So I'll have to continue my search for something that darkens the metal, but penetrates deep!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlos Lara said:

So I'll have to continue my search for something that darkens the metal, but penetrates deep

If you ever find that, patent it.  You'll have made something new to science! ;). Metal simply doesn't do that.

• Thanks 1