Hi all, 

So I like to offer a ceramic Coating finish on the chefs knives to give it that mate black finish. But they scratch so easily. So I'm wondering what recommendations do you guys have in your vast experience in Coating. Because I can't powder coat since the temperature is too high and will mess with the hardness and temper of the blade. 

Any suggestions? 

20211211_150005.jpg

20211211_145957.jpg

20211211_145937.jpg

I've thought about it myself- but the reasons you stated are what hold me back.

For a display, or a shelf queen... it'd be perfect. Cerakote is durable, but still will scratch.

The upside- my EDC pistol has been coated for 5 years? Still no rust on the slide. Which three years in- was the reason for coating it.

Definately scratched off.

20211212_185618.jpg

20211212_185601.jpg

• Like 1

Same thing with bluing. For guns and knives. Those two Solutions (ceramic Coating and bluing) prevent rust. But they don't prevent scratching. 

Someone out there that has a solution for scratching would become a millionaire! 

I'd invest. Haha 

My personal opinion, is that i do not want any applied finish on a kitchen knife that is topical and may come off in use, getting into the food. 

Joel Mercier uses a mustard patina that he says works well and is permanent: https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/parkerizing-s/367158281.htm

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Joshua States said:

Do you expect them to use this knife or put it on display?

Use it. But I'd love for it to get the least amount of scratching possible! The ceramic Coating is even more finicky than mirror polished steel. 

I don't mean to be rude, but this is nonsense to me. Use causes wear. I accept that and never waste a second wondering how to avoid it, because the only way to avoid wear and tear is to stop using it. Those scratches and that patina that develops mean that the knife is used frequently and loved. As a knifemaker, I want that.

My mentor once told me he hated the fact that most of his knives would never cut anything. They would just sit in a dispaly and collect dust. That really bothered him because he spent a lot of effort and time making sure that knife would perform under use. 

3 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

That really bothered him because he spent a lot of effort and time making sure that knife would perform under use. 

Doesn't this bother us all...

At least you don't have that issue with kitchen knives :lol:

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with your mentor and you! I do want them to get used. I do like the patina that develops but it's the client that wants something that won't scratch. If it were for me I'd leave the knife as is so it can season with class. But I have to please the paying customer that wants his knife as new 1 yr later as when he bought it. 

13 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

I gave my brother (a restauranteur and avid cook) a Damascus kitchen knife that he refuses to use........

13 minutes ago, Paul Checa said:

But I have to please the paying customer that wants his knife as new 1 yr later as when he bought it. 

Ask Joel how well his mustard patina holds up

7 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

I gave my brother (a restauranteur and avid cook) a Damascus kitchen knife that he refuses to use........

Ask Joel how well his mustard patina holds up

Your brother honors you not knowing he's not honoring your work. Haha 

22 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

Doesn't this bother us all...

So Joel the mustard patina... Are qué gonna be lucky enough to get the recipe? Haha 

14 minutes ago, Paul Checa said:

So Joel the mustard patina... Are qué gonna be lucky enough to get the recipe? Haha 

I gave it a while back on this forum. There's a pinned thread somewhere. Not many have been able to duplicate it through, not sure why.. 

It does hold up long enough to blend in properly with the natural patina. After 2 years, my daily knife still has it but it has somewhat faded in the blend.

Edit: here's how it looks.

PXL_20211214_023512670.jpg

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't forget the coffee etch, on some steels (52100 specifically) it gives you a very dark and durable etch, just leave it in very long.

Unrealistic expectations from uneducated clients are a pain......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1