A little anvil help

Randy Griffin

I found this one today. I didn’t have a way to measure the rebound but a 1” ball bearing was getting 80-90%. The ring was off. The heel rings like a bell, the horn rings but not as loud and the sweet spot is a clunk. Was thinking Trenton or A&H because of the caplet bottom but not so sure. I’m thinking now it’s Swedish. HELP.

0F316F8D-1B9A-4581-A790-0C0EACDCCE9D.jpeg7B18A06E-8822-41EE-BB8F-8E2856E51FDC.jpeg483702B2-D64D-4BF1-BADF-81F0726F9A00.jpegF09448D9-3DC8-40BC-A0ED-DFA268996C51.jpeg795B1090-EA39-4DDC-8B45-9F53A9B9D72D.jpeg

The odd sound may be because of the two posts, which are someone's mod for a specific job.  If you are getting good bounce from the center mass, then it's not a problem.  Ring is not a good indicator of the quality of an anvil, though it does tell you something about cracks and the like.

If the marking is in CWT (which probably means it's an English anvil) then it should be around 119lbs US.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Weight is in lbs. you can see the lbs in the pic. Yes, rebound is good and I’ve ruled out cracks. Being Swedish it’s probably cast steel. The guy that owns it is out of town so I’ll make him an offer next week. Still like to know what brand it is.

I'm thinkin...try hitting the entire anvil with a wire brush to show up anything that might be obscured by paint. Like the lettering above LB.  I can't make it out.. Then anything that shows, hit it with Chalk,  lettering  might show better

Yep, says made in Sweden above lb. The paragons I’ve seen online are stamped differently. What’s throwing me is the two castings, looks like a 6 above the weight and a P closer to the heel. I feel like it was made by Soderfors but would like to know for sure because the guy that has it is going to want top dollar for it.

:lol: I didn’t notice the background. Mostly junk. He’s got anything from wrought wagon wheels to turnip roots. Hits a lot of estate sales. Thinks everything in his store is antique.

Okay, finally had time to consult the Tome, and found out two things:

1. Paragon was the first American trademark used by Soderfors, so they are one and the same, and perhaps more importantly,

2. That one is a SISCO, Swedish American Steel Corporation, or North Star, who are probably the same company.  They are the only ones who used that little star thingy, and the only ones who used the capsule base.  Somewhere between 1913 if it says Sisco, and 1930 if it says North Star.  Add ten years either way to be safe.

I am sure Geoff is correct about those welded-on studs being the reason it doesn't ring loud in the sweet spot.

3 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Shea butter and vinegar?  What's that guy into?

Obviously he's making pickle-scented soap!  :P  Although that might also make a good anvil polish...

I think I can agree with North Star. Sisco foot looks totally wrong. Think I saw somewhere both were actually made by Soderfors or at least in the same factory. As far as the studs, they probably didn’t preheat and there’s possibly cracks where the anvil quenched itself.

Yeah, Anvils in America says it's not at all clear who was doing the actual castings for either company, the name was just the importer.  I wouldn't worry about cracks from the studs. Any cracking would be minor and limited to the heat-affected zone right around the bolt heads.  I suspect, the studs being not hardened, they act as dampers to vibration same as wrapping a chain around the waist or hanging a weight off the horn.  I also wonder if that big raised lump above the weight stamp is the remains of a previous stud-welding incident.  You can always use that theory to try and get the price down a bit.

Lots of similarities John.

Alan, I think that lump is a 6 cast onto it. I saw one other that had a 7 there and k where this one has a p. Yeah, I’m not worried that much about the ring. It has great rebound. I’ll be doing another thorough inspection before I make an offer. Thanks for all the help.