18th Century inspired Bird & Trout

My mother commissioned me to make this one as a gift for her grandson (my nephew). He likes to fish and hunt, and my sister actually picked out a pattern from one I'd made years ago.

It has contemporary elements like the ricasso and and etched logo, but I had to incorporate the seven pin bird-head handle to keep a little 18th century vibe going.

I forged the blade from 1084. The handles are, as Dr. Jim would say, bovine ivory (cow bone). The pins are 6p finish nails. Leather sheath dyed with iron acetate and hardened with heat and bee's wax. 4.25" blade, 8" overall.

Bone BT5.jpg

Bone BT1.jpg

Bone BT2.jpg

Bone BT3.jpg

Bone BT4.jpg

I hate that I didn't get a good spine shot. I was extremely pleased with the distal taper in the tang and blade.

• Like 12

Ooh….. I do like this one, Don.

How did you procure or come by the bone? 

(Asking because I am looking for some w/o spending lots $$)

GaryLT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

44 minutes ago, Gary LT said:

How did you procure or come by the bone? 

Dunno about Don, I get mine in this form: https://www.redbarn.com/collections/bones/products/white-bone?variant=37840242475188

A little careful bandsawing and you're good to go.

Thank you Alan!! This is what I hoped for! Beats hydrogen peroxide or trying to cook one!

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

16 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Dunno about Don, I get mine in this form: https://www.redbarn.com/collections/bones/products/white-bone?variant=37840242475188

A little careful bandsawing and you're good to go.

Bingo. You can also find 'em at the PetSmart type stores.

And thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed this one.

I don't order them from that store specifically, that was just the first example I saw online.  I generally get them at Tractor Supply or PetSmart. I like to hand pick through them to choose the ones best suited for the scales I need.  There's a lot of waste, but it sure beats doing the boil/scrape/bleach thing yourself!  Just be sure you don't buy the ones pre-stuffed with peanut butter... ;)  Also check at any "natural pet supply" place.  They often have really nice elk and deer antler sheds for a lot cheaper than you find from knife supply places.  Just google "antler dog chews" and hold onto your socks. If you have an in-person place near you it's well worth it to pick through the bins. 

The more I look at that little knife the more I like it. Perfect blend of antique and modern.  B)

• Haha 1

Just remember that working with bone or antler with power tools can really reek.  I worked on some bone on my bandsaw which was in my basement and it took three or four days to get the smell out of my house.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

On 12/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, Doug Lester said:

Just remember that working with bone or antler with power tools can really reek.  I worked on some bone on my bandsaw which was in my basement and it took three or four days to get the smell out of my house.

Doug

you can get the smell out?

• Haha 1

Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

It will go away after a few days.  Maybe you could spray something like Ozium air freshener around the shop.  You can find it at an auto parts store with the other air fresheners.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!