Long term project - a preview...

Hi everyone!

Hope you've all survived the Holiday feasting without too much abdominal pain! (and yet we have New-Year eve right around the corner! :lol:)

Anyhow, I've been working on this Seax inspired blade... It is not exactly historically correct - but I weighed my need for self expression higher than historically accuracy in this project.

Below is a preview of the blade itself. Currently I am working on the handle - more specifically the rear bolster. Engraving is a time consuming process I'm afraid... :rolleyes:

The blade length from where the tang meets the blade and to the tip is approx. 38 cm. 

All inlay is 24k gold wire, with the exception of the wolf's tongue - which is in copper. It is engraved like this on both sides of the blades, with the verse 40 of the Voluspá.

English:
Side A:
40. In the east sat the old
in Ironwood
and there gave birth
to Fenris children;

Side B:
Just one of these
of all of them
becomes the moon-thief
in troll's guise.

Old Norse:
Side A:
40. Austr sat in aldna
í Járnviði
ok fœddi þar
Fenris kindir;

Side B:
verðr af þeim öllum
einna nökkurr
tungls tjúgari
í trolls hami.

And here's the pics:

Seax Preview 02- 01.jpg

Seax Preview 02- 02.jpg

Seax Preview 02- 03.jpg

Seax Preview 02- 04.jpg

And that's it for now. Enjoy the New-Year festivities everyone, and wish you all good health and prosperity in the year to come! :)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...

3ABC063B-631B-452B-8826-991E97FB3AF5.jpeg

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

yeah man.

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Alveprins, incredible craftsmanship!  How many years have you been forging knives?  Would love to hear more about this knife and see more photos of the process.

Best regards,

Alex

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, finally managed to get the handle together and finalized the damn thing with a pommel nut today. My 2nd pommel nut ever, and first in pattern welded steel w. gold inlay.

So, the handle wood is stabilized maple, with 925 silver and vulcanized fiber spacers. The bolster, pommel and mid-section are forged from railroad steel, engraved in a deep relief with 24k. gold inlay and set with two 0.03ct diamonds, four rubies and four sapphires. 

The runes of bolster and pommel reads: 

Hrothlitnir synir

Sons of the Famous Wolf

Skol ok Hati

Skol and Hati.

Mid-section reads:

Surname of client.. and name of the blade - Ljos Sloknir, or in English - "Extinguisher of Light". A fitting name, as these two wolves - sons of the famous wolf, who you maybe already know - Fenris; will devour the sun and moon at Ragnarok.

And.. I suppose.. here's the pics:

Ljos Sloknir Preview-01.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-02.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-03.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-04.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-05.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-06.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-07.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-08.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-09.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-10.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-11.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-12.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-13.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-14.jpg

Ljos Sloknir Preview-15.jpg

Alright, that's it folks... And now I start on the sheath.. need to forge a new damasc billet for that one... ;)

Chiao!

Alveprins.

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 11
On 1/9/2022 at 7:34 PM, Alex Jemetz said:

Alveprins, incredible craftsmanship!  How many years have you been forging knives?  Would love to hear more about this knife and see more photos of the process.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi,

I've been forging since 2016. :)

Process photos will have to come later. Too busy working atm. :)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

I remember the first blade you posted here.  Your artistic growth is nothing short of amazing. B)

You may know of him, but your inlay reminds me of the early work of Barry Lee Hands.  Do a Google image search on that name, you'll see what I mean. 

I am not comparing you at all, your styles are completely different. But the skills are similar. And I am in awe of you both.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I remember the first blade you posted here.  Your artistic growth is nothing short of amazing. B)

You may know of him, but your inlay reminds me of the early work of Barry Lee Hands.  Do a Google image search on that name, you'll see what I mean. 

I am not comparing you at all, your styles are completely different. But the skills are similar. And I am in awe of you both.

Sir, you just found me another source of inspiration! :D I am going to try myself on overlay soon, perhaps the next project. We'll see. I may want to start incorporating some serious scroll-work and sculpting, with gold backgrounding...  I will have to see what fits the next project. :) 

Yeah, the learning curve has been steep, but much of it is thanks to losing my day job... Like I've told several people already: "... I think getting laid off from my company was the best thing to ever happen to me! …" ;)

• Like 1

Dude! Wow, that one just never stops popping out new details. 

We came on this scene about the same time, so I've always felt somewhat connected to your posts.  However, I am equal parts amazed, inspired, and humbled by how far you've gone.  What a long way you have come from the days with the broken back and power hammer mishaps.  Go man go!

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 1

-Brian

9 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Dude! Wow, that one just never stops popping out new details. 

We came on this scene about the same time, so I've always felt somewhat connected to your posts.  However, I am equal parts amazed, inspired, and humbled by how far you've gone.  What a long way you have come from the days with the broken back and power hammer mishaps.  Go man go!

Thank you Sir for those kind words. :)

I had forgotten about breaking my back, and remembered now that you mentioned it - haha! :lol:

I might need a new power hammer though... we'll see... ;)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

14 hours ago, Alveprins said:

I might need a new power hammer though... we'll see... ;)

Well, you have certainly earned one figuratively, and I hope literally.

• Like 1

-Brian

Just Sublime!  I have been toying with the idea of making a Saya from spacers of Birdseye Maple and copper epoxied together like a centipede.   You brought it to life in the handle!  Too cool.  

On 1/25/2022 at 5:18 AM, Alveprins said:

Sir, you just found me another source of inspiration! 

Barry's work is quite spectacular. I have met and spoken with him at a couple of knife shows. You can follow him on FB and IG. 

Your work is truly outstanding, and yes you have come an incredibly long way since the days of forging in a dimly lit basement with heavy metal music blaring, in a semi-drunken stupor.    :P I was amazed even then......

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

I'm usually not a fan of art knives as so often they sacrifice utility for the sake of extravagance.

But this is just something entirely else, details upon magnificent details while still being so usable and true to form. And I can't wait to see what you come up with for a sheath B)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Ok, so sheath is finally done - pictures below.

Inserted two diamonds in the nameplate along with 24k gold inlay. The brass frame is adorned with 4 rubies and 10 blue sapphires. 

belt loop has makers mark in 24k gold inlay. Both nameplate an makers mark plate are forged for a railroad spike in order to keep with the theme in regards to material choice.

And now - I have to consult the client on whether or not the budget allows for a equally elaborate certificate of authenticity. :D

EDIT: For those who might be interested to know, total amount of work hours on this piece was 553,77 hours... ;)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

Ljos Slokvir 01.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 02.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 03.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 04.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 05.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 06.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 07.jpg

Ljos Slokvir 08.jpg

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 8

Dear Lord, good sir....just wow..:o:blink:

I can't fathom what kind of work you'll be turning out in a few years....

• Thanks 1

I dare say not even 5000 hours would get me there, just unbelievable work.......

• Like 1