Charcuterie knife

Hi guys. For Christmas I got the book ‘Charcuterie’ by Ruhlman and Polcyn. It has quite an interesting knife on the cover which reminded me a bit of the handle @Aiden CC made in this post. Thing is, the blade looks like it Is hollow and sorta folded around the handle. Is this a thing? Anyone know more about this kind of knife? Thanks.

A51AF0EF-BB29-4669-B797-9DCD4C20E228.jpeg
(Yet another photo rotated by the internet gremlins)

I went to look at my copy of that book to see if there was a better picture, but you posted one better than on the book!  Like Joel said, it's a French Sabatier.  The bolster and keyhole is cast pewter, and it most likely has a full tang.  Very common on French cutlery of the 1860-1900 period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. So the ‘hollow’ at the heel is just an illusion?

Edited by Charles dP
1 hour ago, Charles dP said:

Thanks guys. So the ‘hollow’ at the heel is just an illusion?

That is part of the integral bolster/tang. Sabatiers have a sort of ricasso-thingy that looks like a T-back, only on the back hook of the blade.  If you saw it from the front it would make more sense.

Like this, only moreso:

If you want to copy the knife and the cast bolster and keyhole remember to use an unleaded pewter or maybe a bearing metal.  You can make up the mold with paper and tape and an iron ladle to melt and pour the metal.  Have some files that you are willing to dedicate to shaping the metal as  pewter or bearing metal tend to really clog the teeth.

Doug

Good advice.  Crappy old files are fine.  I use lead-free plumbing solder, but nickelite babbit metal works fine if you want to spend three times more.  Look carefully at the picture and you'll see the line between the integral steel bolster and the lead/pewter bolster and keyhole.  Lots of grinding on that old blade.

Ah, yes. Thanks for the link Alan. It makes sense now.